SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fldhkybnva

Help! New house, need to pick paint colors

fldhkybnva
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have a vision of what I want the house to look like in my head but in the paint store was completely overwhelmed. My plan is to go with a gray theme in the hallways with blues and greens throughout the house. Does anyone have any recommended greiges with blue hues? Also any recommendations for picking colors that flow throughout the house (e.g. there's an open kitchen so I originally planned to do navy in the family room but that would then limit the color choices in the kitchen and eat-in area)? If more pictures, are helpful, I can add them. I just feel sort of overwhelmed with this all and not sure how to make the vision happen

Edit to add: link to images

https://imgur.com/a/yt5r0

Comments (24)

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

Yes pics would be very helpful.

fldhkybnva thanked tibbrix
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

That's a great inspiration piece and a nice mix of colors. Looks to me like you're already there. Navy is a neutral and goes with all colors.

• Laurie Gordon
    7 years ago

Agree with Anne, you seem to know what you like. Don't procrastinate, go for it and good luck.

• lascatx
    7 years ago

Your colors look good. The one thing I would suggest is that you make sure you test the colors in the actual rooms to make sure they look they way you expect them to.

• fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@lacatx part of the issue is that the plan was to paint before I actually moved in so not sure there will be time to test the colors in the actual rooms.

• fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I've added photos, my plan was to paint the hallways a grey. Dining room navy blue with white accents. Any ideas how to approach colors in the family to kitchen area?

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

Everything depends on the light.

I don't see where the kitchen opens to the family room.

• fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The table in picture 4 is just a few steps from the couch in picture 2 in the family room (yellow walls, fireplace)

I should also mention I plan to paint the trim a lighter color

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

If there is a way you can segue the navy at the right of the last kitchen cabinet next to the sliding doors, I would do the Navy in the Kitchen, where there is less light, and then pick up with the Colonnade Gray for the eating area and FR.

Agree with the others; your color palette is very pretty.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

What I did in my open rooms was to take a wall color in one room and put it on the ceiling in another.

Another thing you can do is with the ben moore color preview colors you can move up or down the same paint strip and get more shades of the same color that will work together.

• fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I like all of those ideas actually. The ceiling idea could work but would have to deal with the texture.

I like the idea of the navy in the eat in area and grey on either side of that.

For the pantry door, should that match the wall color there or the cabinets? It'll likely stick out more once things are painted especially the grim
  • tibbrix
    7 years ago

Well, my suggestion was to do the navy only in the immediate kitchen area because of the lack of light in there . But the eating area seems to be quite bright, so that IMO would be a good place to begin the gray, but the segue would be tricky on the left side of the sliding doors. If it's easier to segue from the kitchen AND eating area to the FR, then yes, carry that color all the way through.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

I'd probably do the DR in the darkest color as that room is usually used at night when you want it cozy anyway.

Also look at BM Ashley Gray to add to the mix of colors in you ikat inspiration

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

The Distance would be beautiful in the DR.

• PRO
    Jaclyn Ehrlich Interiors, Inc.
    7 years ago

This is going to be a dramatic change- love your color choices. I like this concept:

Kitchen Island & Dining Room (dramatic and fun): Hale Navy

Kitchen Main Cabinetry (sophisticated and subtle): Silver Satin

Kitchen Walls (brighten and add spacious feel): Simply White

Living Room (classic):Colonnade Gray

Common Spaces (hallways) & Entry, if needed (stay bright and tie together): Silver Satin

I added links to the colors to show you what they look like in different settings. Happy decorating!

fldhkybnva thanked Jaclyn Ehrlich Interiors, Inc.
  • lascatx
    7 years ago

Distance would be a beautiful color for the DR, but I may be biased. Mine is a similar color. Silver, gold, brass and crystal and wood tones, espcially darker tones, all look great against it. Hale Navy is a great color too, but I'm not seeing it in the kitchen with dark wood cabinets (paint the cabinets white and I'd love it, but the counter might need to change too). The FR could take that dark color on the walls, with the vaulted ceiling, light carpet and lots of windows.

Am I understanding correctly that these are photos from the listing (looks like and MLS watermark)? And you are moving from another area so you can't go back and check colors? Can your realtor or anyone you know go back and take some photos with the color chips? Would you be willing to have the realtor and a color consultant look at that for you and work with you via photos/videos? My SW store has one or maybe two consultants and I know some folks here have used color consultants via phone and nternet. Maybe they can weigh in on how that could work for you.

My biggest concern is the kitchen, and I'm not sure if by painting the trim lighter you mean the baseboards (don't), the trim around the entry door (do), the mantel or something else (like painting the cabinets white?).

The issue in the kitchen is the dark wood with a lot of red in it. There also appears to be some warm tones (pinkish beige) in the countertops. If you are going to paint the cabinets white and change the counter, I think you can use those cooler greys in there, but I think you might need a warmer grey in there if all you plan to change is the wall color. If you go with a cooler grey or a blue next to the stained wood, they will accentuate each other -- you will see more of the warm tones in the wood and counters and more blue in your grey. There appears to be some of that going on with the current wall color and the green/grey. You could have similar issues with the brick and mantel in the FR.

Collonade is one of the colors I tried in my home and it definitely has more green in it. It has more grey than what is on the walls now, but may not give the look you seem to be after. Can you try Agreeable Gray or Accesible Beige -- possibly Alpaca (all SW) in the kitchen? Requisite Gray looks like another possibility but darker. Mega Greige is warmer (slightly more toward beige) and darker still. I would probably chose one of the lighter shades for the entry and then go a shade darker in the LR, but not too dark so it contrasts with Distance in the DR. The FR could go lighter or darker, but it isn't clear where you can transition between the kitchen/breakfast area (looks like that needs to be the same color) and the FR.

fldhkybnva thanked lascatx
  • lascatx
    7 years ago

Jaclyn posted while I was typing.... If you are going to paint the cabinets (and possibly replace the counter -- soon, at least), I like that direction. The pink brick inthe FR is still and issue and might work better with a wamer tone at least in that room -- if it can transition well.

All of this is still guesswork to some degree if you don't look at the colors in the rooms. Lighting and reflection change things. I can take the same color around the corner -- not 10 feet away, in my house and it looks like a completely different color.

• fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@lascatx

Yes, they are MLS photos. I'm moving from Maryland to Ohio and planned to paint before I arrive with all the stuff to make it easier for everyone so wouldn't have an opportunity to check colors. I could ask my realtor if he would be willing to take photos with color chips though I'd feel sort of like I was pestering him :) I visited SW this week and they were not very helpful at all but perhaps stores vary and I should call another to see if they have color consultants, I think that would really help even if I couldn't see the colors in the house, to at least know the plan was OK on paper.

Any reason why you wouldn't paint the baseboards? I'm personally not a fan of the dark trim throughout the house. So you're saying leave the trim in the kitchen but paint it elsewhere (upstairs is a light blue/white carpet) with the same dark trim. Now that you mention it, perhaps that's a better idea, keep trim same where there are hardwoods. Would you paint it in the family room?

I planned to leave the counters but planned to install a lighter quartz countertop (beige with brown tones)

Any thoughts on perfect greige?

I'm not sure there's a good transition, the walls are continuous without any corner edges.

• fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Jacyln

The room faces north.

I hadn't thought of painting the cabinets but that's a possibility. I wonder if that's a project I could tackle myself. What color would you paint them? I don't particularly love the cherry stain. I had planned to replace the countertops with a white/brown quartz. The current countertops are gray.

Yup, all of the doors are wood color. I planned to paint the door trim (I originally planned baseboards as well but lascatx made a comment that maybe that's the best idea) and replace the doors with lighter 6 panel doors.

• lascatx
    7 years ago

Where you have wood floors the quarter round trim next to the floors is usually stained to match the floors. It can be painted, but that can lead to paint on the wood floors -- maybe not the first time, but when repainting, touching up dings or nicks. And that trim closest to the floor tends to absorb some of those dings and nicks. I probably would paint it in the FR where there is a light carpet. I was looking at the wood floor areas when I said don't. Even if you have wood underneath and want to restore them, the trim would get pulled up with the carpet and new trim is pertty inexpensive to put down.

I wouldn't paint the cabinets unless that is a look you really want and you have some experience with DIY painting or would hire it out. Cabinets are a lot of tedious prep and work to paint cabinets and paint neither holds up nor is touched up as easily as stained finishes. Cherry is gorgeous. Bues will look great with it -- you just have to be carreful with undertones, and even more on the greys.

The counters look like they are beige with some grey. If you are going to replace them, it doesn't matter -- but I wouldn't do brown and white with your greys and blues. I would probably go white or grey and white. You could consider a mid-toned paint with some white in there. I've also seen cherry done with dark granite or soapstone (or a similar look in quartz), but that would definitely need a lighter color on the walls.

As far as paint selection, it miht help if you can look at the colors with similar finishes in your current home or similar surroundings. Light will still vary. Sorry you didn't get better from your SW store. Look here and see if you can find more info on the SW website. If you still need help, you might starting a new thread to ask about color consultants.

• fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That makes sense, glad you mentioned it. My mind has been so focused on changing the baseboard color in the upstairs (https//imgur.com/a/D7cwN) that I never stopped to consider that it looks OK on the first floor next to the wood floor but will paint in the FR.

It seems hard to find a good grey, I definitely think I want to go with a blue undertone vs. green.

I imagine it'll be less overwhelming if I just start putting stuff together and see what I think.

I'm thinking of a navy in the dining room and gray/whites in the kitchen and family room. Any suggestions for the first room of the foyer? Perhaps a shade up from whatever gray I pick for the hallway?

I actually just google color consultants so maybe that would be a good idea. This is only the first floor, second floor though should be easier to figure out as less open space.

• lascatx
    7 years ago

I like light entries so I would go with a lighter shade -- someting pastel to mid-tone. That would suggest going a bit darker or to a complimentary color in a similar value in the adjoining spaces. But that's just my preference and usual first thoughts. There is no right or wrong -- just different ways to approach it.

Do you have furniture for the rooms? Your upholstery colors will probably have a major impact on the color choices -- wood tones some but not as much.

• fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'm mostly starting from scratch. I planned a neutral-ish wall color in that room to allow for various upholstery colors. The adjoining dining room will be navy with dark wood table and white accents, then transitions through a doorway to the kitchen. The furniture in the family will be dark blue which should pair well with the various shades of grey. I plan to paint the mantle and am torn on painting that brick or covering it with light stone.