SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gthigpen

New to forum and would love feedback on a custom home plan

gthigpen
7 years ago

Hello! I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now to get ideas regarding a custom home build. We've hired an architect and he's just given us a couple of ideas on interior layout. He had given us a plan a few weeks ago that included an elevation, but I had some issues with the layout and he reworked everything. So he doesn't have an elevation with these latest two plans. He's waiting for our feedback before he proceeds with that step and to tie in the 'exterior massing'....his words. I did include his original elevation, which was super rough....he said to ignore window/door type and sizes, but just to give us a general idea of the direction he was going. I can post the original layout also that ties to this elevation if you think that would be helpful.

General guideline we gave him:

No formal dining room

No formal living room

Mudroom that had access to the backyard

No tub in master bathroom....just large walk in shower

No stairs in foyer

Didn't want fireplace on back wall to obstruct the backyard view

Didn't want TV mounted over fireplace

We've got two kids (10 and 12) and two dogs

Would love any thoughts from the experts on here on major things I should look for. Flow, layout, room sizes, door placement, etc. And also ways to shrink the square footage......I didn't want to go this big. Just reading the other posts about layouts has made me think about things I normally wouldn't have thought about!

And by the way, front of the house is NE facing, back of the house is SW facing. 100' wide lot with 12' side setbacks so max width of house is 76'. We are in Texas.

First two pics go together as 1st and 2nd floor. Second two pics go together.

Comments (40)