SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
divotdiva2

Please help me with my bowling alley kitchen layout

divotdiva2
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Yes, it is that bad. I will attempt to attach the current layout along with a proposed layout from a respected KD. The current layout is a U shape with the two dreaded blind corners, and the cooktop looking into a small sitting/dining area with cabinets overhead. The ceiling is a standard height in the kitchen area, then is vaulted in the sitting area and the ceiling in that area is on a slant.

The proposed layout opens up the room as we want to ditch the overhanging cabinets over the cooktop and make it one large room. An appliance wall is on the right but we have to investigate plumbing drains/options for them. Those are all tall cabinets and the refrigerator on the end by the door to the laundry. Built in coffee (Miele) and a CO and CSO. There are wall cabinets on the side by the sink and only one in the corner. You can see I am giving up a bit of counter space and cabinets except I gain some storage back in the tall wall cabinets above and below appliances. DH really wants/likes this drop down table that is an extension off the counter. Could possibly move the stove to that side and ovens to where the cooktop is currently proposed. But would need counter space.

Wondering if anyone here from GW has a better idea. The look-through has to go, it closes off the room. I should note that the sitting area is the front of the house, the windows are 32" off the ground. It will remain a small sitting area because that is where we gravitate, no matter how many times we have attempted to change that room over the years. To enter my house you walk along that side of the house and the front door is just past the kitchen window.

We are set on brand of cabinets from the KD, but not certain this is the perfect layout yet. Sorry it is sort of a sketch more than actual layout that I am not authorized to publish. I will also provide a blank layout with just the room dims. One could possibly open up the wall into the LR, but there is a post in the way in the wall which would be expensive to move so you'd have to work with it. We don't want to extend out walls even though the room is narrow - it would be great to do so and make an island, but cost prohibitive.

Much thanks in advance, we have been dwelling on this over 2 years.

I should also add we don't entertain heavily - we have a large covered patio off the room you don't see useful for year-round dining.

Comments (12)