SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sc77

Season 2 - Grafting Conifer Results

sc77 (6b MA)
8 years ago

A follow up to Rookie Season Grafting Conifer Results

This year I expanded my grafting efforts, by purchasing more understock, and adding a Agrobrite T5 Light for increased light exposure as the grafting chamber become more dense with conifers. I didn't plan ahead, so I did have to pay a premium for already potted understock. I purchased 25 Picea abies from Musser Forest, and 10 Abies bornmuelleriana for Western Evergreen. A+ for Western evergreen, wouldn't order from Musser Forest again, as their understock were on the larger side for grafting and extremely root bound.

I grafted 34 trees and had 19 survivors (55%). Not great, but... all 15 loses were on Spruce, which I have learned tend to be more difficult to graft, but I still believe the quality of the understock played a big role in the amount of failures. Also, I brought my understock into the garage on Dec 27th, and started grafting Jan 17th. The vast majority of my loses were those early grafts. I think I jumped the gun, I really only had 1 or 2 of the spruce understock pushing when I began grafting. I think your supposes to wait for about 1/4th - 1/2 of understock to be pushing.

Anyways... Here are some of the results. 3 are new finds which I will observe to see if they are worthwhile.

Abies Numidica 'Glauca' (Thanks John!)

Picea abies 'Bird Park' (new broom I found)

Abies concolor 'Blue Cloak'

Picea orientalis 'Skylands'

Abies lasiocarpa ' Green Globe' (Thanks Alex!)

Abies cephalonica 'Meyer's Dwarf' (Thanks Alex!)

Pinus strobus (No Name, under observation... Yellow Winter Color)

Comments (8)