SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux

Source for costume jewelry

MtnRdRedux
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I've always liked a certain line of jewelry. What I saw an ad for it a few months ago I was reminded how much I liked it. And I thought you know, I think I will get it. I didn't really expect it to be wildy expensive because it was gold and mother of pearl. It wasn't like I had a yearning for 6 carat emerald ring or something like that.

It's the Alhambra line from VanCleef and Arpels, shown here:

What I wanted was the long single strand in mother of pearl. It cost a fair amount more than I was expecting… $16,600. Having learned the hard way that jewelry is as trendy as anything else, I didn't really want to sink that much into a necklace.

So I was so pleased when I happened to notice on the Louis Vuitton site, that they had what I would call sort of a knock off of the Alhambra. I didn't even know they did costume jewelry. I didn't know they did jewelry at all.

here's a photo of their version

Well guess what, they don't do costume jewelry. It's real, plus they upped the stakes by adding diamonds, and it's over $26,000.

Now noone really "invented" the Quatrefoil, and mother of pearl is not all that dear. Has anybody seen any knockoffs of this, either better quality costume jewelry or the real thing but without either of these name brands behind it?

I had my wedding band custom made years ago, because I wanted a rolling ring like Cartier, but I wanted two yellow gold bands and one diamond pave. At the time Cartier didn't make that, and they don't do any custom work, so I fairly easily had one custom-made elsewhere. But a year later Cartier started making them… They owe me a royalty! I thought about trying to have this custom made, but it seems a little trickier than a ring, even a rolling ring.

Comments (49)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!