SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kswl2

In the Thank God I Live in a Friendly, Helpful Town category.....

kswl2
7 years ago

I am having a sit down dinner for eleven tonight. We are eating in the dining room and atypically, I am using service plates instead of a tablecloth or placemats. Which means I have to use coasters for the water goblets. So I am setting the table at 2 am last night (don't ask) and can only find 8 of my 12 coasters. I have searched all storage areas.....four are missing.

And now we turn to the candelabra.....the centerpiece is white and green hydrangea, white snapdragon and purple stock.....I need to change the red candles in two, three-arm candlesticks. Rummaging for candles in two separate candle drawers, I discover that I should open a red candle shop, as I have 23 of them in every possible size and hue. I have lovely green and white candles (and pink, and pumpkin, and an ill-conceived yellow) but not six of any one color.

And I have a baby shower in the middle of the day today in another town, meeting my mother and DD there and I am supposed to bring all the presents. Mother has been too ill to shop, DD works in a different state and commutes weekly/ no time to shop. And I have several cute little things (three of those darling Robeez shoes) but not one big gift, and this is a family by marriage connection.

So I called our florist and left a panicked message about a candle emergency and needing a few more hydrangeas for other vases. He called back ten minutes later with descriptions of what he has and an offer have them delivered within the hour.

I called our local antique shop with my coaster emergency. Five minutes later she texted me pictures and prices of the seven crystal and silver coasters they have. She is holding them all for me to run by and see on the way to the shower.

I called our local CVS because I remembered seeing a great big wall of gift cards there. The clerk kindly searched the wall for me while I waited and found they do have Babies R Us gift cards, which is one of the honoree's registries!

We've had a rather bad week; if I could have cancelled the dinner I would have. But I was relieved and thankful for all the help I got this morning, my problems solved easily with phone calls to people I know in our small town. And one of the guests is an elderly man who recently lost his wife of many years. Another spent most of the past year in the hospital battling pancreatitis. I am glad to be able to have this dinner and hope it is a happy gathering with delicious food and drink for at least a few people who could really use a night out.

Comments (18)