SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
magdalenalee_gw

House is under contract - moving to a rental help

MagdalenaLee
7 years ago

Hi everybody, I've been pretty MIA of late, busy with preparing the house for sale, posting on Buying & Selling Forum, nervously picking at my cuticles . . .

But now I can breath because we have a contract and it's time to start thinking about not being homeless. So the situation is that we have some property in the country where we want to build a farmhouse. We want to do it using all cash and instead of draining our bank account we've decided to work on it slowly, about three years. We will be the GC, with DH doing some stuff and regulations in the country are pretty much non-existent so logistically, shouldn't be a problem.

So where to live in the interim? We want to keep our rent down to less than $2k per month and rental houses around here go for about $1/sf. So less than 2000sf. We will be leaving a pretty full 3600sf house, so fitting furniture is going to be difficult. We've already purged the house of everything we don't want. Plus, I don't want to pay for a storage unit (unless I can get a house and unit together for under $2k).

So after all that, I'm wondering how long I will be happy with living in a house full of furniture awkwardly jammed up against walls and maybe a bedroom used for stacking stuff. Right now, I think I'll be fine. I'm actually looking forward to not having a home I give a fig about for awhile. So has anyone ever done this before? Long term? We did it once when remodeling our first house but only for three months. It was a fun time. Now that I'm older, I'm starting to question my ability to handle it, especially for three years.

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County