SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hannahptl

Final kitchen plans - please help!!

mathnmusic
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

The kitchen is being demo'd, please help me look over my plan! We are big family with 5 kids (ages 12 to 1 year), we just bought our 1st house. The kitchen's being expanded from galley to a C shape to make room for a corner pantry, more fridge space, and we're researching everything from final layout to countertops to appliances. Here are my questions -

1) The contractor says we first need to decide on range size...putting in a gas line for a gas range is $500 -is it worth it? I know most people prefer gas, I don't have strong preference, but definitely hoping to find a 36 inch size for more cooking space (we cook 3 meals a day at home, often have a couple 10-12 inch pots/pans going at the same time, and our current 30 inch electric range gets over-crowded) but can't find a one that size recommended by Consumer Reports. Durability and safety are top priorities for us, with all the kids. I'd love to find something like the LG LDE3037BD, but in 36 inch size. We're not huge bakers, use the oven for more chicken-nugget and casserole baking 1-2 times a week.

2) Would like to buy a standard depth fridge that doesn't stick out too much, would it work to build out the corner pantry to try to match the 36 inch fridge depth? Plan shows fridge being flush with cabinets but we're going to use standard size cabinets on the right of fridge (as you face it), and build a pantry with shelves to the left of fridge. Would it look strange to have the cabinets be 24 inches deep, then see the bank of fridge-pantry sticking out 36 inches?

3) We've planned for no windows in kitchen because of the new family room addition in the place of where the windows used to be, and the family room and dining room that are open to kitchen have a lot of light. Plan to paint kitchen cabinets white and put in light tile floors to brighten the kitchen. Would this make up for no windows? If a window is a must, where would you put it?

Huge huge thank you in advance for your help!!

Hannah

Note: attached are 2 drawings: Existing kitchen first, then New Kitchen layout

Comments (15)