SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kurtinwishkah

Need help how to permanently kill pervasive root system

Erin
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I am a renter in SF and have a lovely backyard area that has a lot of potential but right now is a mess. I don't own the building so I am trying to do this DIY project on the cheap. I have no landscaping experience whatsoever (I am sure it will show, but this is a learning project for me.) and the backyard has been completely unused in my 14 months of living here, so I have a lot of freedom to experiment.

I started off wanting to just weed but I quickly realized that the weeds were just a symptom of a very pervasive root system below the topsoil. Adding to the difficulty of extracting the roots, there are a lot of loose rocks that make any kind of tilling hard.

So I've been laboriously moving the rocks while weeding and ripping up the root system (horrific pictures below) that's below a layer of clear plastic. The weeds have all sprouted up through cracks in the plastic (or maybe burst through) and are its own layer underneath.

My plan is to move the rocks, extract the roots and also kill the roots (but I am not allowed to use pesticides), lay down black plastic and fill it in with soil. I kind of want to get rid of the rocks but not sure.

So my questions are:

1. Is there a better way to physically move the rocks? And should I just remove them altogether from the backyard?

2. What is the best way to extract the small tree stumps I am finding in the back yard (probably 5 or 6, and I am assuming, the loving parents of this extensive root system)

3. What is the best way to kill this root system and make it stay dead? Scorched earth policy? Salt? Vinegar? Water and soap?

Even though this isn't my own place, I plan to live here for a few years, so it would be worth it to me to really effectively kill these roots and have a backyard all the tenants can enjoy.

4. What is the best way to level out the surface of the back yard? Removing the rocks and adding dirt, a mixture of something else?

My modest plans include a compost bin and making raised plant beds along one of the walls of the backyard. It's actually a pretty small and manageable space.

You can see where I've dug up some pretty intense root systems. There are also some small tree stumps that weren't removed and will work on extracting those.

Please help! I am looking forward to hearing from you!

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County