SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sidpost

Portable ice maker

sidpost
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My Magic Chef portable ice maker of ~15 years has finally quit working due to what appears to be a keypad problem. I may try to find a replacement keypad at some point this summer when I have some free time but, right now I NEED a replacement.

The ~$100 units you see everywhere don't have a very good reputation for durability and are apparently pretty noisy. When I step up to a Kitchenaid or similar slim stand alone unit, I'm looking at a bit less than $2K starting price and go up from there. The true industrial stand alone units are nice but, I'm wondering if that is overkill even though it is the same price as a good stand alone unit.

I use a lot of ice during the day for drinks, primarily brewed tea. In a normal day, I use the equivalent of 3 to 6 quarts of water for drinks exclusively. With more capacity, I could see some in my lunch box to keep things cool and the occasional homemade ice cream machine run.

What are your thoughts and recommendations on a $200~$300 portable ice maker? Should I step up to $1500 to $2000 skinny portable unit? Or am I missing the obvious and I should really get an Industrial Scotsman, etc. and put it in my garage or on the back patio.

TIA,

Sid

Comments (14)