SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midorit

Tree Experts: best way to trim backside of this tree as it grows?

midorit
7 years ago

We just moved into this home and we purchased this Summer Cascade weeping River birch,So this young tree will grow, according to it's tag, " 6-8 feet both tall and wide". I've read on other sights 10 feet for these, but our particular one says 6-8 feet wide It has this amount of space on sides (between it and the fig and rose tree) and in front we don't mind if it goes 3-4 feet which its tag suggests (I'm assuming 6-8 feet total, so that would be 3-4 in *each* direction. Not 6-8 in each direction).

My question is that back wall. We were told by nursery it would be fine but others have questioned their judgment here. But I want to know *how to make it work*. Please don't tell me to move it. We cannot as this is our entire patio/ yard, that is it and this is the only place it can go.
Instead please tell me the best schedule and way to trim this tree. I have heard if you trim certain ways it can make it super thick and bushy on the inside of the canopy losing its graceful shape. Can I get all bonsai here and train this little guy in the back without making it's undergrowth thicker?

** EXTRA NOTE: So the brick wall in that picture is only a wall, not our home. our neighbor has a tree that is 20 feet in same spot in their patio next door and all fence walls are still fine. all the residents have one at least 10-15 feet tall in the corners of their fence areas like this in our community and all are flourishing. all fences are one side brick, one side wood. Also the way the sun comes in the River birch can't shade out the rose and fig. the sun rises behind the brick wall shining at the angle of fig tree first, then weeping river birch/ rose I attached pictures of and blues of sun in morning and evening. hard to explain but I could sit there with a giant umbrella to that corner and it would do nothing to the other two trees :D. in the evening the whole brick wall gets lit up evenly from the other direction. again River birch won't block. Hope this makes sense.

At any rate, any productive advice is so so welcome here!

It's place. Again, everyone in the area has a tree in the corner. And again, this brick wall is *not* our home, but a brick fence wall.

Distance to the fig tree. In 5-10 years, fig can be moved a foot or so to the right if need be.

Plenty of distance to the rose

Sun hits in morning from *behind* the wall, catching the tops of all the plants. It comes from the angle of fit then river birch and rose. So it's from back right corner splashing over to top left corner. That's the sun's angle here.

Evening sun hits all the plants equally coming from the left side of the patio.

In neither case will the weeping river birch block the other plants.

Comments (25)