SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindavarga20

When to give up on seeds?

lindavarga20
7 years ago

This is my first year and I planted a ton of seeds knowing they probably wouldn't all grow up into veggie/fruit producing plants. I've got a bunch that have sprouted but I have a ton of ones that haven't and I'm wondering when do I know they are dead and to scrap em and move on? Either I over-watered them or made them too hot or something but I have a bunch of seed trays with no signs of life. Looking at the packages the seeds came in I can see that some are late and others are very late. Does this mean that they are dead or dormant and I should leave them and I might still get some growth?

Cucumber Straight Eight

Planted: April 9; Days to Germinate: 7-14; Estimated Sprouting Date: April 16 - April 23

Peppers (Hot Mix)

Planted: April 5; Days to Germinate: 7-14; Estimated Sprouting Date: April 12 - April 19

Cantaloupe

Planted: April 9; Days to Germinate: 7-14; Estimated Sprouting Date: April 16 - April 23

Pepper (Early California Wonder)

Planted: April 9; Days to Germinate: (6-12 days or 10-21 days); Estimated Sprouting Date: April 15 - April 30? (got off internet not seed packet for California Wonder but couldn't find Early California Wonder version)

Lettuce (Iceberg)

Planted: April 5; Days to Germinate: 7-14; Estimated Sprouting Date: April 10 - April 15 (got off internet not seed packet)

Lettuce (Grand Rapids)

Planted: April 9; Days to Germinate: 2 to 14; Estimated Sprouting Date: April 11 to April 23 (got off internet not seed packet)

Also I have planted Watermelon, Cucumbers (Improved Long Green), and Cayenne Peppers in seeding trays. Some have grown and I've transplanted them to go under lights but the rest of the trays haven't grown. I expect them to grow at varying rates but when do I decide that they will not sprout and can I reclaim the soil for other plants? Would I want to try to fish out the seeds or just leave them since they won't grow anyway?

I also planted a couple of Tomato Rockets and one is doing well but the other isn't doing anything. In fact the one is getting its first true leaves and I'm going to transplant them to their own little containers today or tomorrow. I was supposed to water them twice a day until they sprouted and then once a day but I think I missed one with all the pots and trays I've got in my bedroom. Should I try watering again twice a day and see if the other one will grow? I thought I saw a tiny spring of green but that is gone now. Is there a way to know if the seeds are dead? Do they die or do they just remain dormant?

Thanks for any and all replies!!!

Comments (9)