SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_littlerock_ar

Zebra Swallowtail Butterfly

Mary Leek
8 years ago

A wonderfully informative article regarding the Zebra Swallowtail and it's host plant.

Click Here: Zebra Swallowtail Butterfly

I had one Zebra Swallowtail visit my garden last year and had to ask here for the ID. I'd never seen this beautiful butterfly before and knew nothing about it. Sherry told us there must be PawPaw trees nearby. Ordered two PawPaw starts for plant out this spring with the hope of seeing another Zebra Swallowtail one day.

Saw my first butterfly yesterday, a lovely yellow Cloudless Sulphur Butterfly – Phoebis sennae. My Senna marilandica is coming up but no leaves unfurled to date. Won't be long before it is ready for mama butterfly. I have seed saved from last season so anyone wanting to grow this plant, I'd be happy to send seed for a SSAE. Thank you, Sandy, for sharing this seed with me.

Below is a photo of my Senna marilandica when it was a young seedling (click on photo to enlarge). This plant grows upright so doesn't take up a lot of ground space. A good plant for the back of the border. Also, the seed pods of this particular senna don't open on their own but stay closed so it's easy to remove them without the fear of the plant dropping seeds everywhere before you can clip the pods.

distribution range:USA: AL , AR , DC , DE , FL , GA , IA , IL , IN , KS , KY , LA , MD , MO , MS , NC , NE , OH , OK , PA , SC , TN , TX , VA , WI , WV
Native Habitat: dry roadsides, thickets, open woods

Happy Spring to all ...

Mary

Comments (6)

Sponsored