SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westond

Removing a fireplace/chimney. What do I need to know?

westond
7 years ago

Hi all. We recently had our front fireplace (we have 2) and chimney inspected, and it's completely toast. A lot of the mortar you can stick a screwdriver all the way through. The estimate to rebuild it was $20k . We don't use the fireplace there EVER, so we've decided to remove it ourselves. I know it's going to be grueling work, but I'm up for it. We'll hire a dumpster and start taking it down brick by brick.
The thing that I'm wondering about is where the fireplace meets the foundation. We have a poured concrete foundation, but when you go into the basement you see the width of the fireplace is bricks, not concrete, as well as the little ash clean out door. My question is, what do I do here? Do we just leave that as is? Do we need to have that area re-poured as concrete? Do we just pour concrete or dirt in behind it?
I've tried to hit up about a bazillion contractors in the area, but nobody will even talk to us because the housing market here in Portland is so hot they are just throwing away work they are so busy. It's incredibly frustrating.
I'm hoping someone here can help point me in the right direction. Any help would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!!!

Comments (12)