SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Grasshopper Spring Hatch Has Begun

While we have had some mature grasshoppers around (but only a few, not a lot), I haven't seen many small ones until the last couple of days.

Now tiny grasshoppers (1/8-1/4" in length) are hatching out everywhere in the garden. Just thought I'd post this as a heads-up, particularly for the rural to semi-rural residents like me who often have to deal with grasshoppers in huge numbers.

I already had ordered and received 1 lb. of Semaspore because our garden is jam-packed with crickets---dozens and dozens of crickets, so now I'll just use the Semaspore on both the young hoppers and the crickets.

Other than the crickets and cutworms, there's really nothing pesty in my garden. This is the first year in ages that I haven't seen cabbage loopers, imported cabbage worms or Colorado Potato Beetles---not that I am complaining. I'm not happy about the crickets as they seem to be devouring a lot of plant matter, and that is unusual, but it seems like every year it is something. They seem to especially love cabbage. Who knew?

So, when it finally stops raining, I'll scatter some Semaspore around the garden and kill two birds with one stone.

Dawn

Comments (2)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County