SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eam44

Support Beams

eam44
8 years ago

Just when things were starting to move forward again, another problem has arisen with my beloved wall of death. A quick summary of the problem:

The back of the house was extended (green are below).

The original second floor overhang on the back of the house was covered with a shed roof/cathedral ceiling, and now the family room and kitchen area has three "openings" that are supported by beams, the first is the family room, second is the eating area, the third is the problem, the kitchen.

The kitchen opening was never supported by a beam, instead the original outside wall of the house with framed window looking into the sun room, was left in place, probably to allow for the range hood to vent. I tried to open up that window and my first contractor pulled out the window header THEN told me it was supporting a load. People make mistakes, he said he'd fix it. He never came back.

The new contractor wants to put a 2" X 12" beam up there. If he does I can't vent my range hood without going up the walls and out the attic ($$$$).

I want to use a smaller laminated beam that will leave a couple of inches for my vent, but we need an architect to size it. Even if we find a beam that's short enough to work, take a look at the beam...

The steel I beam supporting the load over the eating area (opening 2) overshot the support wall. It's sandwiched between two 2" X 12" pieces of lumber. He can't cut the steel. He wants to remove the outer portion of the 2" X 12" and pop the new beam onto it. We're never going to come up with a beam thin as a 2" X 12" (1.5") and short enough to fit under my vent.

What am I going to do?

Comments (24)

• Michael
    8 years ago

I think you should get an architect to inspect the structure ASAP. If the architect needs additional help he or she will consult with a structural engineer. Stop worrying about the vent. Make sure your house is not going to collapse.

eam44 thanked Michael
  • zmith
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I could be mistaken, but I thought the laminated beams aren't shorter, they're thinner than dimensional lumber beams. Sounds like whatever beam you use, it'll be 12" tall. A lumber yard can verify the beam size for you if you know the span and loads it will support. Otherwise, I'd skip the architect and consult directly with a structural engineer.

Sorry I know that's not much help troubleshooting your dilemma regarding the hood vent. Can you move the range?

eam44 thanked zmith
  • Related Discussions

smooth finish for interior concrete support beam

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks Rockin’ Fine Finish. I tried Sakrete pre-mixed concrete patch and it is quite sandy. See photo. Is there a particular concrete patch that you can send a link for? I checked both companies and both seem to have a sandy composition.
    ...See More

Advise please..Support beam in basement

Q

Comments (14)
    All the splices that you see must be over the bearing points. You have to replace the lolly columns, the one they use (or if there is more) the one in the picture doesn't belong there. You need a licensed framing crew to replace the existing beam and install new lolly columns, they will know what to do, this can be done fairly quick you just need a contractor specializing in framing. Whoever did the work there didn't know what they were doing and they botched everything up. P.S. I wouldn't plan to have any parties or too many people at the house, because you don't want to have that floor loaded more than it should be, this has to be fixed right away, because if that beam gives for whatever reason, the middle of the house will cave-in.
    ...See More

Loft bed needs curtains but support beam is the way

Q

Comments (1)
    Maybe a search along this line?
    ...See More

Complete design flaw! Arched Support beam + Kitchen wall

Q

Comments (9)
    It could be years before a remodel, you know how it goes, life gets in the way. Drywall's cheap. This is what I was meaning: RED is infill in the arch plane. BLUE is infill on the sides of posts. GREEN is infill on the angled wall plane as it looks like there is a silly recess there too. YELLOW is optional extend angled wall up to ceiling, but there is another silly notch there to complicate the cleanliness of lines. I also notice there is that short wall blocking the window (with the picture hanging), that looks like you can't walk behind it. In the future fix that along with the angled kitchen footprint.
    ...See More
  • nyeringa
    8 years ago

That's not true about the beams. They can be as small as 7.25". It just depends on how far they have to span.

eam44 thanked nyeringa
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

... my first contractor pulled out the window header THEN told me it was
    supporting a load. People make mistakes, he said he'd fix it. He never
    came back.
    What a JERK.

If I understand correctly, the area in question was supported by a framed wall with window header, and studs, which are gone:

But the JERK realized too late that it's a bearing wall, and now the span in red is being supported only by a header joist that has been cut in two, and a 2x4 plate that is almost cut in two? Maybe I'm confused.

Can you post your kitchen layout? I don't recall seeing a final layout, but seeing it might help spark ideas. The only thing I can think of would be to have the hood ducting come under the new beam and snake around to the existing duct (similar to the way ducting comes off a furnace). Maybe you could make it an architectural feature, or disguise is with a bulkhead on the sun room side.

eam44 thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • eam44
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi all. Thanks for weighing in.

Michael, I'm trying to get it taken care of as quickly as I can.

zmith, the span is 9' and I don't think I need steel or a 12" beam, but I don't know for sure.

pk, I've seen 7" and even 6" lvls also

treb, you are absolutely right, it isn't an I beam, it's a flitch plate. I can use the span tables but I have no idea how to estimate the load it has to carry. So can this guy cut the lumber on the existing beam and use lvls on either side of the new span?

mama, I'm about ready to give up. I can work around it, but it would look so much better if I could have a smooth contiguous ceiling from sun room to kitchen. Here's the layout.

• zmith
    8 years ago

I'm aware beams come in smaller sizes, but usually if you need a 12" timber beam, you need at least that height in a lam beam. And while an engineer isn't necessary to size a beam, a structural inspection may be required for permitting, and that's where an engineer will enter the picture. It's best to consult with one regarding installation and proper support of the beam.

Anyway, Eam44, the lumberyard may be able to assist you with the information they'll need,for instance, they'll ask if the opening is supporting just the roof or a roof and second story. If they're local, they'll know whether you're a snow-area or not.

For a 9' span, there are more conditions that require a 12" beam than not. I'm not clear at all where your hood exhaust will run.

Edited to add: I feel for you, Eam44. Whenever I attempt to renovate anything in my house I run into challenges like this. Let's assume you need a 12" beam. Show us on your layout where you want to run the hood exhaust and where it will terminate.

eam44 thanked zmith
  • eam44
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks z. I have a second story, and I'm in Cleveland, so there's plenty of snow. I feel like I'm swimming upstream the whole way on this reno. The cooktop is on the other side of the overhang and the 6" round duct runs in the ceiling above and transitions 90 degrees to a 12" X 2" duct that goes up the wall of the overhang and vents out of the shed roof that covers this mess.

if I get a 12" beam, I'm allowed to drill into it by some fraction of its height, is that correct? Is it by 1/3? So if I repeated the 2@ 2" X 12" beams with wood in the middle the same thickness as the flitch plate, I could drill out an area as "tall" as 4", not sure how wide...

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

eam44:

Get inspection out, explain your problems, and see what they have to say. The code is what the inspector says it is on the day he says it.

eam44 thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • zmith
    8 years ago

Eam44, it's possible that if you double up the beam, you could do a rectangular cutout as long as it's within the zone where cutouts are allowed. Typically it wouldn't be possible in a single beam. I don't know the allowable dimensions for a cutout. This is information the beam manufacturer would provide.

eam44 thanked zmith
  • eam44
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks z. A single beam on a load bearing wall, from what I've read, can receive a bore hole 1/3 of the depth (12") of the beam, so a 4" round hole in the acceptable zone. I would love it if that meant doubling the beam would allow for a 2" X 12" rectangular bore, but my guess is I'm not going to be that lucky. Maybe a 6" round, but I'm not going to be able to fit that either.

• zmith
    8 years ago

That's what I understand as well; you could do a 4" round hole on a 12" beam as long as it isn't located in the mid-section of the beam. You would need a taller beam to get in a 6" hole. I was looking at your pics again. What's the dimension between the bottom of the existing beam and the ceiling in the sunroom? I'm wondering if you can fit in a taller beam. I really think you need to get in touch with a lumberyard. Find out who the beam manufacturers are and then try to get some technical support from the mfr that would be supplying the beam(s). Different mfrs have different cutout allowances.

• eam44
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well, it's going to be attached to the original framing lumber to which the floor joists are attached, that was 9", and it can be 24" tall (deep) with no problem, I just don't know what that means in terms of support. But there's a transition piece to accommodate as well between the 2" X 12" wall duct and whatever I connect it to... So even if an 18" beam allows a 6" round, the transition piece from 2" X 12" to 6" round is big.

Now in terms of areas, the area of the rectangular cutout 2" X 12" is 24" (lxw) and the area of a 6" round is closer to 29" (pi r squared), so it'd be great if I could make a rectangle instead, and transition that 2" X 12" vent 90 degrees through that beam.

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    8 years ago

You are allowed to drill joists, not beams; unless you have a stamped engineer's drawing.

eam44 thanked Sombreuil
  • eam44
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This problem is not fixable

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

Maybe not fixable the way you had planned. Would it be possible (and
    I'm asking Casey and others who are familiar with framing) to build your
    own glued laminate beam against the framing lumber of the flitch plate and the 2x4 framing
    already in place, then support all the layers with a couple of posts? If
    you glued and nailed 2 or 3 thicknesses of 1 ¾" LVL against the span, then supported the existing 2x4 and the laminated beam with posts
    at the yellow circles (and maybe the blue one), would that be
    acceptable to you? You would have a raised panel/ledge above that
    opening, but to disguise it you could lean a series of framed prints or
    decorative plates, or if it's deep enough, a collection of pottery. (Using mounting putty for safety.)

The beam/ledge could be longer, depending on where it needs to be centered.

• eam44
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mama, thanks for thinking about this. I have asked him if we could customize a beam for that spot. That's when he said, time to call an architect. I have so many constraints because of the vent (height) and the flitch played beam (thickness) I'm ready to tear that other beam out as well. Because it is there, I can't have a 1 3/4" beam...it'll stick out. It has to be 1 1/2" max. I wouldn't love the posts, but I could consider it...the load has to be transferred to footings in the crawl space below. There might be a way to tie posts into the support walls that do have proper footings, but I'd have to ask. And this contractor isn't returning my texts anymore. Another one bites the dust... Sorry to be so negative. As far as I can figure, I'm going to pay a lot of money, and still have a header and a soffit. Frankly, what's the point?

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

I'm very sorry you're going through this. I hope an architect can find a viable solution, and soon this will be just a bad memory. In the meantime, do you have access to a couple of floor jacks to support the 2x4 framing?

• eam44
    Original Author
    8 years ago

He was going to support the load with a temporary wall, but in the end decided it was ok, as did the guy who started all of this...who knows. I really appreciate you throwing your brains at this problem. I can't believe I can't think my way out of this one. The only idea I've come up with (besides just replacing the header) is to rip out and replace the beam in opening 2 with LVL to eliminate the flitch plate so that I won't be limited in "thickness" of the beam I need in opening 3. I could do 1 3/4", I could do 2@ 1 3/4". If that would allow me to use LVLs that are shallow enough to accommodate my vent. Do they sister LVLs together?

• live_wire_oak
    8 years ago

Steel and a structural engineer is your solution. Structural steel can be thinner and shallower than wood or LVL. But you need someone to properly design both it and the attachment points. As well as the footings for the point loads.

eam44 thanked live_wire_oak
  • Bruce in Northern Virginia
    8 years ago

One quick answer - they do sister LVL beams to handle more load.

Planning for using an LVL beam is fairly simple, since the manufacturers have tables that show beam size and allowed span distance. The tables I've seen also state that the calculation assumes the span is for use on the 1st floor, 2nd story load above it. My contractor used the tables for planning, and then we had to pay an engineer to come out and certify the plans so the city would approve. The engineer was a complete waste of money, since my contractor understood the requirements much better than the engineer, but at least it got the city to approve the plans.

Bruce

eam44 thanked Bruce in Northern Virginia
  • rebunky
    8 years ago

I am so sorry you are dealing with this mess, Eam44. How frustrating!

I am sure I am not understanding everything happening with this crazy beam/wall of death. But what I hear you saying is that you want to tie the new vent into this old vent and it is causing a major headache. Well, that, and the fact that some idiot took out a load bearing wall and ran off.

It is like you have this brand new outfit that you are dying to wear. But, you are desperately trying to make the old shoes go with it. Now someone broke the old shoes heels off. You are trying to get them repaired, but even if you could they really don't match with your new style because they have buckles and you really hate buckles. The buckles are the soffits btw. Ok I think I'm getting way off track with my dumb illustration. Haha!

What if you pretend as if that old vent does not exist. Fix the beam without worrying about the vent. I wonder how well it would vent the fumes anyways? Seems like a long stretch to finally get to the outside when it has to make several right turns plus transition from round to a long skinny rectangle.

Now without thinking about the old vent, what is the most logical way to vent the new hood to the outside in the shortest path? What is upstairs? If upstairs if no good, could you vent it down instead? ( I'm editing to scrap that last idea because I think that means the dreaded downdraft pop up system which you probably don't want. )

I know you don't want soffits, but if a strait shot up or down won't work, could the dining room side instead have a soffit? Maybe make it look planned by doing a built in hutch or something underneath it?

I don't know what the green room is below the dining and to the right of the sunroom, but could it go out the shed roof on the other side of the sunroom wall?

Sorry if I'm getting this all confused as I usually do. My comprehension is really bad these days. Here is what I'm picturing for the vent if it cannot go strait up or down. Do I even have the range (red box) in the right spot?

eam44 thanked rebunky
  • eam44
    Original Author
    8 years ago

reb, thank you for your idea, and your compassion! My guess is that I will end up having the same issue with the beam in the dining room, but I will ask whether re-routing would help.

Now I'm wondering whether it's possible to make the support walls extend out another 1 1/2", add the 2" X 12" beam outside of the current framing, and decorate it the way mama recommends....could that work?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

"...could that work?"

There is only one person on earth that can answer that question. He works at the Division of Inspection. Have him out. Maybe have a donut or two available.

eam44 thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz