SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noraredden

When a mistake is made..who gets to decide how to replace?

someday soon
8 years ago

do they have to replace the item exactly?

Heres the scenario...

Custom stainless steel large island counter top.

Our cabinet place makes the plywood top with sink cut out with specifications and provide the physical sink to use as template. Our contractor then picks it up ( as a four to us as he does not work with these people we hired them independently) and takes it to the metal fabricators.

The metal fabricators do a beautiful job, we meet there with sink and they drill hole to accommodate our faucet.

Contractor brings it back to the house where it sits for a few weeks until ready for installation.

Cabinet guy goes to install it and the sink hole has been cut in the wrong place, after some back and for the and the cabinet place accusing our contractor of enlarging the hole on the sly whole transporting it from shop to shop (omg! were they even serious?!), say their cutter guys says he didn't cut it to the size it is and he's not a liar...etc.., etc...I realize I have a photo of it on my cell phone, in there warehouse and they, yes, they are made the mistake and are at fault. (But it took the photo)

Now they agree to replacing the countertop but they are saying they will have it done at a DIFFERENT metal fabricators than where we got it done. They want to get it done at the shop across the street from there shop staying that have to its a "community thing" but really its because they will get a cut rate.

I think this is a terrible idea because after all the back and forth just trying to get them to take responsibility if we aren't happy with the result of a different metal fabricator doing it a a cut rate then they can walk away saying they replaced it as they said they would. I think if we don't say "no" then we leave ourselves open to having no recourse should we not be happy with the result. Do we have to accept this?

If they don't agree our only recourse is holding back the final 10% we owe and go get it done at the original fabricators.

Comments (4)