SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Different Dracaenas

Took some pics of some Dracs today. Will take a few more tomorrow.

D. marginata (the plain species) to the left, D. marginata 'Tricolor' to the R. The species has a wider, longer leaf, plain green with a red edge.

'Tricolor' has white stripes added between the green in the middle and the red edges.

This pot has 'Rikki/Ricky' with some Sansevieria 'Moonshine' and Tripogandra (a close relative of Tradescantias/WJ.)

This pot has D. fragrans (corn plant,) D. marginata & 'Tricolor,' variegated D. sanderiana (lucky bamboo,) 'Ricky/Rikki.'

'Lemon Lime' with a Brugmansia (angel trumpets) cutting stuck in the pot last fall and similarly recent cutting of red Cordyline terminalis/fruticosa 'Red Sister.'

If you'd like to add a pic of yours, please do!

Comments (91)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Looks like you have a crew of JCC's. Nice!

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    7 years ago

No, only 2. The short one is the top of the tall one...and it looks like I might be cutting the top off the tall one again....but Thank you..

• Related Discussions

Help identifying a Dracaena (?)

Q

Comments (5)
    Are they just really variable (Kiwi specifically)? This one was for sale at the same place and it had a label with it saying it was Cordyline fruticosa Kiwi. The leaves look very different and the growth looks different too.
    ...See More

Can you ID this houseplant?

Q

Comments (10)
    Newbi, I don't think it matters which it is. You'd do the same for either. I think Toni was just trying point out the different shapes and growing patterns of different Dracaena--you'd be amazed how many there are. As far as cutting back, since you're doing a complete cut and re-rooting I'd just pull all the bad leaves off and use those nodes (the part the leaves are growing from) for producing new roots inside the pot. If the trunk is too long, cut it again and stick the extra piece in soil. It may root too. The bottom stump will take a while to resprout but when it does it will be from the top, so take that into consideration when you cut. If you want leaves down low, cut it low but above the soil. Good luck, I'm sure you'll have nice plants. Dracaena are very forgiving. Sandy PS: It would be good to cover the top with a plastic bag while its rooting, just to keep leaves from losing moisture while it has no roots to take it up.
    ...See More

Cats eating plants

Q

Comments (41)
    Wow...a lot of great ideas on here. I have a very stubborn Maine Coon and he thinks it's the best gift ever to not only have a plant to chew on, but for me to put pebbles (I also tried fist sized rocks) or sticks in the dirt because he LOVES to use that extra thumb to plop those rocks & sticks onto our hardwood floor at 2am. Toby also loves water so the squirting doesn't work and loves to play with foil and celophane (I tried covering the dirt). And Toby loves spicy food so the cayenne pepper didn't work...he just licked the dirt. But I've also come to the same conclusion as most of you. Compromise. We've now got cat grass (a nice fescue) in a shallow sturdy 18" pot drainage tray for our cats to play in and the rest of my houseplants are either hung from the ceiling out of harm's way or out on our balcony. Call it a truce with the cats. They can enjoy their chlorophyl and instinct to chew/dig and we can enjoy some houseplants.
    ...See More

Dracaena Marginata and Frost

Q

Comments (1)
    Yes. We grew four or five different Dracaena when we lived in New Jersey and they survived some very cold nights on our "heated" sun porch. I have both Tricolor and Red Edge in the ground here over 10 years and they've dropped leaves but have come back strong every year.
    ...See More
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I refuse to cut my JCC until it blooms. IDK how long that will take, but that's how long I will wait, very impatiently. I check at least once a week, usually more often.

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    7 years ago

I never knew they flowered at all...I still have lots to learn after 35 years of doing this.

Original Author
    7 years ago

I've seen several people share pics of their JCC blooming in the past few years. Of course, now I'm fixated on mine doing it. They say admitting is the first step... LOL!

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    7 years ago

But really I'll have to research as to how to get them in bloom...fascinating.

• tropicbreezent
    7 years ago

Had a quick look down the thread and didn't see any photos of Dracaena goldieana.

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked tropicbreezent
  • stewartsjon
    7 years ago

There are two problems with them flowering (I just cut a flower stem off a D. Gold Coast in one of my own contracts yesterday before it could get going - sadist!)

1. They are messy and a bit sickly-sweet smelling

2. They seem to deform the stem. Any leaves produced after a stem flowers are very stunted. The solution is to cut the stem back to before the flowering point.

• stewartsjon
    7 years ago

Incidentally, I have literally hundreds of images from our files of Dracaenas (we photo every delivery). This has been in my sales presenter for years, from left it's Janet Craig, Gold Coast, Ulysses, Marginata, Massangeana.

This is my current favourite - Dracaena Tatuada, it's like a cross between a Janet Craig and a Compacta. Lovely compact heads, less 'floppy' than a JC.

This is a post from my blog of a few rarer ones too.

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked stewartsjon
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Very nice. I would love to find one of those! Love the pics in your links too.

If the plants are half as happy as me to be outside again, that = very happy plants. :+) These used to be the tops of...

...these.

JCC has been hung, in a good way, I hope. Leaning to form a new forced curve in the trunk.

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Gosh Tiff, all your plants are to die for....

I'm soaking some bare root plants...let's see....3 Verbascum (My Favorite all time perennial)..3 Delphinium, 1 double mock Orange shrub, 1 Maximillian perennial Sunflower...planted in temporary pots 2 perennial Sweet peas & 1 Puiiti Clematis (spelling?)..and planted 3 geraniums, breeder's choice..These plants are all bare root...I put the geraniums outside with my others on the front steps which is south.. the sycamore maple shades them for part of the day. I put the clematis & sweet peas on the back steps which is west...just until danger of frost is past...last night it was below freezing so I covered everything with towels..

P.S. Love your bench on the porch!

P.S.S. Love your porch!

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked Debra (6a) West Ma.
  • Tiffany Clemens
    7 years ago

I have a D. Marginata plant that has grown very leggy and read a little on cutting it off then repotting. It wasn't successful, well I was successful in killing the repotted cut off. Any suggestions??

Original Author
    7 years ago

Tiffany, hi, great name! LOL! I fear your question won't get the attention it deserves because it is within this existing discussion. If you start a new discussion, your question will be seen by all who visit this forum. Including a pic will help you solicit the most accurate feedback.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Debra, TYVM!

Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Found a 'Hawaiian Sunshine' today, on clearance, I guess because the lower leaves look a little beat-up. Now I have 11 diff kinds.

Original Author
    6 years ago

A better pic now that I've had a chance to clean it up. It will be added to a group pot when I'm able to repot soon. Kind of hoping to find a 'Dorado' to put right next to this, so they can be a pair of opposites.

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    6 years ago

I put about 2/3 of my plants outside yesterday...mostly on the north side of the house, except Amaryllis, geraniums & a rose.

• Andrea ME z5b
    6 years ago

a couple of small dragons

a couple of one dollar bargain plants from HD a few years ago, D. fragrans I assume, maybe 'lemon lime', it is more yellow in brighter light
    A little 'Anita' from a rooted cutting hangin' on the sill with her new peperomia buddy

Original Author
    6 years ago

A 'Riki' is going to bloom! I can't seem to upload a pic, will try again later.

• tropicbreezent
    6 years ago

None of my fragrans flowered this year, although the other species did a number of times. I had fruit forming at the same time as new flower buds.

• Laurie (8A)
    6 years ago

I would show a picture of my new and beautiful Dracaena riki, that I have only had since spring, but boy has she grown. I would show it if someone had not stole it right off my porch. I was amazed to find it gone.

I guess I should not come to any dracaena threads for a while. Srry all.

Laurie

• goldstar135
    6 years ago

WHAT O__O

Someone stole your plant right from your house?

Do you have any idea who was responsible?

• litterbuggy (z7b, Utah)
    6 years ago

Laurie, what a drag! What kind of person steals a plant from someone else's porch??

My dracaena has kind if been through the wringer this summer. It freaked out shortly after I moved it outside and started leaking sap from the bases of the newest leaves when the high temperatures exceeded 100 degrees for over a week, and it's so top heavy that even after I put it in a heavy cache pot and tried to protect it by piling things around the base it was knocked over by the wind every time a storm blew by.. Finally a fall injured it right below the fork, and now leaves are dying off one at a time on one branch and a new branch has started growing an inch or two below the fork (the damage must be hidden in the crannies in the bark in that area). It's been two weeks and leaves are still falling, but I'm hoping that they'll stop dying when they reach a number that can be supported by the water that can still make it up the stem. That way I could wait until spring to chop the branch, which would increase the chances of getting multiple branches from that side of the plant.

I'd show you a picture if I could, but Houzz still won't let me. i guess it's time to send them a message.

6 years ago

Oh, by the way, tiffany purpleinopp was right--as much as my dracaena marginata struggled this summer, each branch now had a spikey crown of leaves. It's quite a dignified look!

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked litterbuggy (z7b, Utah)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I gave up trying to upload a pic. Here's a copy elsewhere:

https://garden.org/plants/photo/467916/

Laurie, so sorry! There's only bad karma in theft. You'll probably never know about it since the thief is unknown, but justice will be served in some way, at some point in time.

• barbmock
    6 years ago

Tiffany, That looks like a big bloom. Thanks for this thread on dracaenas. You turned me on to Riki. I tried to upload a picture too, but no luck. I do put pictures up on the sans group with no problem.

Laurie, I'm sorry about that theft. What a shame.

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked barbmock
    6 years ago

Tiff, I just found out that we can use the Houzz photo button by hitting the Browse button in the second pane that comes up. I don't have photos on this phone yet, but I forgot about this one on Dropbox of my old cat when she was still a goofy young thing.

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked litterbuggy (z7b, Utah)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Barb & Litterbuggy! LOL! That cat looks like I feel, "Holy crap, it's Monday again!!!

• barbmock
    6 years ago

Ha, I did it!

• petrushka (7b)
    6 years ago

i see nobody posted D. reflexa 'Variegata' yet. It's called 'Song of India' too.

It's very common in ground in south FL, but i just saw small plants in my local nursery. It's sort of a small shrub, but it branches quite well - so is very bushy.

mine is still very small and is still in 12oz plastic tumbler, i rooted the cuttings 9 mo ago.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Barb, your plant looks so much less abused than mine! Cute bear carving too.

Petruska, gorgeous addition!! TY both for sharing the gorgeous pics.

This is from 2 days ago:

And this is from a few mins ago. It's moving quickly!

• Andrea ME z5b
    6 years ago

Hey guys, I know this against the rules (lol) but I posted a question in the annuals forum but there isn't much activity there this time of year (go figure) but if you wouldn't mind checking it out, it's a question about bees and flowers, I'd really appreciate it http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/4894975/african-foxglove?n=2

• petrushka (7b)
    6 years ago

so, this is Ricky blooming? It's a rather large plant, but very pretty!

have to confess - i saw it here the first time! :). It's really nice, but too large for my space ;)!

i have to make do with cuttings for now ...i have the full house he-he...

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, Rikki/Ricky is the one forming the bloom. I'll post another pic when it looks significantly different. Excitement! :)

Original Author
    6 years ago

An update on inflorescence.

• tropicbreezent
    6 years ago

When I looked it up before different sites claimed it was a few different species. But those flowers look like D. fragrans.

Original Author
    6 years ago

It may have been called D. deremensis, a synonym of D. fragrans.

• tropicbreezent
    6 years ago

I recall D. deremensis, and another was reflexa which has quite different inflorescences.

• Photo Synthesis
    6 years ago

Here is my Dracaena marginata "Magenta." It was the one that served as a home for a bird's nest that didn't turn out so well. While that nest was still there, I had to neglect this plant so I didn't disturb the nest. After the nest was destroyed by an animal, I moved it out into direct sun and just let it grow. When I finally was able to get around to repotting it, the roots were so long that I had to go up to a pot that was two sizes larger than the one I planned on using. From there, the plant just took off growing. Most people don't really care for their plants growing tall, but as for mine, I can't wait for it to. With it growing in direct sun all day long, and with it being quite windy around here, my Dracaena's trunks have grown very strong and rigid.

On top of that, I've also noticed that one of the trunks has sent up a second new growth from the base of the plant. I think that it did this because the trunk received some mechanical damage to it sometime before when I first bought it earlier this year, which may have triggered the new growth. Which is pretty cool.

6 years ago

Photo, that's magnificent. How tall is it? If my Dracaena were as full and happy as yours I wouldn't care how tall it was so long as I could maneuver it through the porch door! Its stalks are more rigid than before, but I'm sure they will thicken even more if I can just keep it upright while it's outside on the rather breezy porch. I think I've figured out how to do that...

Here's a photo that shows the month old branch that appeared on my marginata after the last time it was blown over, rolled around a bit, and probably got the same kind of damage as yours. I love how thick the new branch is, but that's probably because it started growing just before I moved it inside, when it had as much energy as it ever had before.

Next season I'll repot and prune the plant with the idea of getting it to look much like yours, Photo, though it will take some time for it to get anywhere near as big.

Question: will my dracaena's winter growth cover its spiky crown with droopy leaves? I've got this image of a plant with alternating areas of spiky and drooping leaves from living outside part-time.

The poor thing has been through a lot, between all the falls on the porch, not getting repotted this summer, and losing leaves largely because of a gap between the soil and the bottom of the pot caused by the fall displacing it in the pot (the nearest root didn't use to be that high), as well as a period of spotty watering when my injured hand was really bad. I pushed the roots and soil back in as best I could at the time, with the unusable hand and all, and now that it's stopped losing leaves (and my hand is a hand again) I'll pull it from the pot, make sure all the soil gaps are filled, and put it back in straight so I can take the stakes out.

(Pardon the scrap wood and boxes; I've fallen behind on setting up my new workbench and making another attempt at a sharpening station.)

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    6 years ago

Janet Craig.

Same plant

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    6 years ago

Laurie...So sorry someone grabbed your plant...very despicable. Well, What Goes Around Comes Around. They'll get their due.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Awesome plants, everyone! Really enjoying them!

Update on 'Rikki' inflorescence:

Group pot:

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    6 years ago

Tiffany...you have gorgeous plants...

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked Debra (6a) West Ma.
  • Sage TX 9a
    6 years ago

Tiffany, thanks for this thread. I've learned so much about dracs. I have marginata 'Magenta' and 'Bicolor', and deremensis 'White Jewel', and they're all doing fine but 'White Jewel' is growing like a weed. It's fully 2" taller since I brought it home at the beginning of August. How tall do they get? I'm seeing conflicting info online claiming it's a dwarf cultivar that tops out at 16" vs 4-5'. Does anyone know? Mine is 9" tall now & I'd love to know what to expect. Thanks!

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked Sage TX 9a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

TY for the kind comments. I suppose some kinds of Dracs might truly be naturally smaller entities, but none of mine have ever stopped growing taller. When they get taller than my windows, I trim. I will never be able to answer this question without moving, and then living to an (even much) older age... ;)

Some cultivars have been around a lot longer than others. The newest ones may not fully be explored for a few more decades.

• Sage TX 9a
    6 years ago

Thank you! That's kind of what I thought based on people's pics, not to mention googling "dwarf dracaena" and not seeing 'White Jewel' at all.

If mine keeps growing at the rate of an inch a month, it'll be a foot tall in January. Lucky this is a 7 ft tall window! *g*

• tropicbreezent
    6 years ago

Some of my Dracaena are very tall, some not quite so tall, but the only short ones (to around knee height) for me are D. goldieana and D. thalioides. I haven't come across any that stay more "dwarf" than those.

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked tropicbreezent
    6 years ago

Yesterday I was sorely tempted by a Lemon Surprise at Whole Foods, but I decided it was imprudent to pay that much, especially because my current collection grew so well over the summer that they barely fit in the limited space I have.

Original Author
    6 years ago

I repotted this today, on its' way to stay in greenhouse for at least the next couple nights, expecting frost, or very near to it.

The soil had sunk a lot.

Surprisingly, the pancake of roots at the bottom was not huge. I chopped it off with a shovel.

The Cordyline 'Red Sister' is a cutting I just added to the pot when I finished.

The tallest part was too tall to be inside this winter, so it came off and got stuck in this pot.

This was a cutting about 4 months ago.

It's developed a great root system already.

'Janet Craig Compacta' has been repotted upright. It was leaning for a while to develop this cool zig-zag. 'Hawaiian Sunshine' to the right.

A big cutting of variegated lucky bamboo (D. braunii/sanderiana.) It's in water with Coleus stems for tonight, until I can decide which pot it should join.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting