SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drrich2

Pecan tree for yard near home?

drrich2
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi:

Couple of years or so back, I planted 2 pecan trees (Elliot & Cape Fear) from Lowe's in our yard (1.4 acre lot). They've settled in & put on growth; I'd say the Cape Fear is around 9 - 10 feet tall. I figured pecan trees are related to hickory, I'm under the impression hickory have hard wood, my grandmother had 2 pecan trees behind her suburban Arkansas home for decades & they were big trees but not gigantic, and I needed a Type 1 and a Type 2. Sounds good. I chose to plant the Cape Fear near the house.

Lately, I've run across online content leading me to question the wisdom of what I've done. Talks like breakage can be an issue. Soil changes from moisture absorption affecting foundations (maybe). Trees can get really big. A University of Arkansas has a page recommending not planting one closer than 15 feet to your home.

The Cape Fear is 19.5 feet from the home. It's not under a power line, although there's one off aways (how's that for vague?) outside of the lot where limbs would eventually reach (and be pruned off of, no doubt). It gets windy here in Spring. Trees big enough I don't considering moving it myself practical.

Bottom Line: I like this tree & I want to leave it be. I'm trying to figure out just how stupid a thing this is to do. What do people think of pecan trees as residential yard trees?

Richard.

P.S.: Elsewhere in the yard a # of other things are planted; Nutall Oak, Swamp White Oak, Wildfire Black Gum, Yates American Persimmon, 2 male Ginkgos, some smaller trees, & from before we bought it, a Yellow Poplar, an Ash (? Green?), a 4 trunk clump River Birch, 4 Red Maples and 2 Pin Oaks (and a callery pear I'd like to nuke, but it's so close to the septic leach field I'd be loath to replace it, so it lives). I wanted trees that'd make some food.

Comments (12)