SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dmt4641

Care for lawn after major sprinkler repair

dmt4641
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I had my sprinkler system upgraded recently to give more even coverage. There were several sections where underground pipes were removed and put in another location and sprinkler head locations moved. They saved my St. Augustine grass and tried to refill the areas with dirt and grass they best they could when they were done. It is a bit lumpy in places and I can still see the outlines of each section of grass that was replaced.

My question is how I should care for the areas with a lot of damage to the grass? There is one area in particular where at least a 1/3 if not 1/2 of the grass/soil had been removed and replaced. Do I need to water it like new sod for a couple weeks? Try to level the lumpy areas now or wait until the grass is established again? I just put down some organic fertilizer after the repair so it will be a few weeks before it takes affect. I already added some top soil + sand to obvious big holes, but haven't tried to fill any of the cracks or low places between sod pieces.

I'm in the Woodlands, TX with St. Augustine.

ETA: I also sprayed some Microlife Ocean Harvest (liquid fish fertilizer) for a quick boost until the grain fertilizer kicks in and some kelp to hopefully help the roots.

Comments (4)