SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_72015

Urban Pinnacle Oak or Autumn Gold Gingko? Chicagoland

Catherine Di Stasio Morgenstern
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I am almost finished landscaping my new construction lot, but I need help deciding between a tree for the NW corner of my back yard. Very sunny spot with hot afternoon sun. There is a berm there but heavy clay soil, so this tree needs to be drought tolerant and clay tolerant. Our local nursery has a very small whip (4' tall) of an Urban Pinnacle Oak (very inexpensive) and they also have a 2" caliper Autumn Gold Gingko (about $550 with installation).

Here's my question-- I know that both trees have a slow growth rate but some people debate that about Oaks. But I'm almost 41 and I'd like to see this corner have an actual tree vs. a stick before I'm old and gray. We will likely only live in this house about 20 years, tops.

Do I spring for the larger Gingko or do the Urban Pinnacle Oak and bet on a faster growth rate?

Just for reference, I took out a ton of my sod and installed planting beds with mixed trees and shrubs. This corner needs something tall to balance a Shawnee Brave Baldcypress in the opposite corner. :)

Thanks for your advice!

Comments (20)