SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katgal_ohio

What can buyers' inspector require of seller?

katgal
8 years ago

I haven't been able to find an answer to this. My daughter is selling her house and had the home inspection today. When she returned to the house, there was a note from the buyer's realtor stating the inspector could not inspect the electrical panel because "they need to unscrew the front of the panel to see the circuitry and because the screws are hidden under the framing he couldn't get to them." The panel is covered with a wood door and frame since it's located in the finished family room. It has been this way since she owned the house.

She further states that she texted the seller's agent to tell him and "asked that they be made accessible" and when the inspector returns to retrieve radon test equipment he will inspect the panel.

My question is: is it reasonable to ask the homeowner to do this? This is a newly-single woman without any power tools, not to mention no expertise. Plus, the frame is affixed to the wall with no easy way to remove it. When she purchased the house 12 years ago, there apparently was no issue with the inspection.

Any insight is appreciated.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio