SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
princessannclaire_vsp

Am I doing this right? Planting heirlooms in raised beds Central Texas

Hi there! I come from Nashville, Tennessee, where I have successfully grown about 16 varieties of heirloom tomatoes over the years. I moved here to Austin in the fall, and to start out small, bought 6 Texas heirloom (smallish) tomato plants. I have built a 4 foot by 4 foot raised bed planter with reclaimed untreated pine boards, with some landscape fabric on the bottom to keep it weed-free. Our soil in the yard seems to be pretty alkaline. Typical south central TX. So I am tilling a 4 x 4 space in a spot that gets morning sun (at least 6 hours) and eve shade. I plan to till about 6 to 10 inches down, remedy the soil with horse manure, peat, fertilizer with nitrogen, and mix in good quality garden topsoil, then a layer of the aforementioned, then more soil, etc. Until the soil comes up close to the 12 inch tall mark of the bed height. Then plant the tomato plant into that total of almost 2 feet of amended soil, 2 rows of 3, staked. With marigolds and basil and possibly chives mixed in. I am an avid religious once a week pruner and will not let them grow out of control. I plan to water once a day in the evenings as I did in Tennessee. It gets hot here in summer. Does this sound like the right plan? Is there something I am missing, and when do y'all recommend that I spray (organic) pest control spray on my plants and put mulch on the bed? Thanks so much! -- Ann Claire

Comments (6)