SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tracy_dietz29

TOTALLY clueless, need Help!!!

Tracy Dietz
8 years ago

I live in Oregons Southern Willamette Valley. We have a single fig tree, variety unknown (purpleish brown outside, light yellowish inside) in our yard. Found out yesterday that it is over 40 years old and has not been properly cared for for a minimum of 30 years. It is at least 20 feet tall. I have been ripping up ivy and blackberry vines from around it for the last week or so. Surprisingly, it does produce very well. It ripens 2x each season, but so high up the fruit rots. There are actually baby figs sprouting right now, I've never seen it happen this early in the year! It is a variety that can be "eaten straight off the tree", don't know about cooking or canning. I want to prune it down to a manageable, reachable level. I have pruned off all the dead stuff I can reach. How and when can I do a Major pruning/Topping?

I do have a pole saw available, some limbs are just too high and/or too big for pruners and loppers. How do I go about getting the variety identified? Lastly, what is the proper care/maintenance?

Comments (3)