SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
polly929

My fabric painted chairs before and after....you asked daisy chain :)

polly929
8 years ago

I bought these nice sturdy Ethan Allen chairs on CL years ago, 2 for $75. And although I intended on re-upholstering them, I got major sticker shock for reupholstery! I was quoted over $200 per chair and that was for low end unattractive fabric. Here's a before pic:

The fabric although not terrible, did not go with my decor at all, however because I was at a loss over what to do with them, they lived this way in their gray and mauve glory for many years.

I recently came across a website that sells AS chalk paint and on the site were many projects customers sent in. The site is called the Purple Painted Lady- I have no affiliation with this business, I'm just mentioning it because I had a fabulous interaction with the owner. Anyhow I came across this inspiration pic of a thrift shop chair that was chalk painted.

So feeling inspired, I figured I can do this! And I did! I read the directions from her website, she recommended spraying the fabric down with water in a spray bottle to dampen. Then with every dip of the paintbrush in paint, then dip it in water to thin the paint since the Annie Sloan paint is so thick. Here's the chair after one coat:

The first coat was the most difficult to get coverage. I ended up doing 2 more coats with 24hrs between coats for the paint to cure. The color is AS French Linen. It came out much darker on my chair than the inspiration chair, but I was still happy. Now for the lines. I used green frog tape as was recommended on the website to get the cleanest line. I followed the original plaid lines on my chairs b/c they were a different texture and still visible and I wanted to conceal them. Because I was following that pattern the lines are not centered perfectly, but I think it's only noticeable if I point it out, although it drives DH crazy, lol.

The finished product:

The lines are painted in AS graphite. After the paint job was dried, I waxed them with AS clear wax, and they have the feel of a soft buttery leather. I love how they turned out! And it cost me less than $100 for paint, wax and I invested in a good paint brush. Much more affordable than reupholstering :)

Comments (36)