SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
estherandminsoo

Indoor garden hopeless?

estherandminsoo
8 years ago

Hi everyone, I live in a small rental apartment and I've always wanted to grow my own little garden inside. I thought that since I could control essentially everything, light, water nutrients, soil, I could have a nice growing garden all year round. My experiments tend to end up the same, dead plants, whether I start with young pants or seeds. I've also tried using cuttings of full grown plants like lettuce butts, onion butts. Seeds are even harder for me. I tried to use seeds to grow a little indoor herb garden and they did mostly germinate, after reaching a height of about 2 inches, they would all wilt and die. Is there any step by step book you could recommend that has not just initial planting but also pictures etc, up to full growth? I'm sick of seeing people post pictures of their plants at tiny sprouts then ta-da! Full grown plants! I need the play by play each week with their trouble shooting as the problems arise.

Also, the light I use is pretty hot so I tried to keep it at least 18 inches away from the plants shop they wouldn't dry out /burn but now I'm reading that from the way they looked toward the end (thin stems with no growth except at the very top), they weren't getting enough light? I usually kept the lights on 24 hours as well. The soil would dry out at times so I thought it was too much light /heat bit I guess I was wrong?

I want to try again. Maybe this time with young plants again instead of seeds so I can get at least a little harvest. I've found this fertilizer at the Korean market called ggae muk that I want to try. Any pointers? I'll be sure to post pictures and spell out what I did/used for comments but any advice before I start would be greatly appreciated.

Starting materials:

65w GE plant light, blue tint

Ggae muk (Korean fertilizer) and potting soil mixed with potting mix

Large plastic bin with holes drilled into bottom and rocks

Young plants and possibly some seed packets, attempting herbs, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, scallions

Much appreciated!

Comments (12)