SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mykonosberry

Granite pros :Is my granite going to fall down?

mykonosberry
8 years ago

So my newly installed granite bar has 8 inch over hang and is about 80 inches length. It is only supported by 2 brackets, at the ends, which used to be corbel type but were modified to L shape by the general contractor after the granite installers left (at my future mother in laws request, she also had 3 other brackets removed ) I fear that not only are the modified brackets not strong enough (quite thin metal) , there are not enough of them. However I am getting so much push back from the general contractor and future mil and my SO about how it is totally safe. Can someone with experience chime in?

what the Brackets used to look like before modification

The bar situation

Also my plan to fix this is to buy 3 centerline front mounts, remove the tile just from the parts of the bar that I need to, cut the dry wall, cut the partical board, and attach the bracket directly to the stud. And then put new tile back over. The general contractor is telling me that the granite will crack if I try to remove the tile. It's this true, is granite that brittle that the vibrations from that will crack it? Am I the one over reacting? Is it actually safe?

Comments (42)

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

That looks like a raised eating bar with a 'knee wall'...is that right? I would use counter balance support plates. I do not think this situation is safe from the looks of the photo. If that' is a knee wall....that could fall someday and really hurt someone.

Half wall (knee wall, pony wall) overhang support requirements for both 2cm and 3cm granite:

For overhangs less than 1/3 the depth of the top [i.e., support wall is 4 inches, countertop is 6 inches, overhang is 2 inches] no additional support required.

For all other half-wall overhangs, corbels or plates are required to support the overhang.

mykonosberry thanked The Kitchen Place
  • mykonosberry
    Original Author
    8 years ago

here is a photo before they put the modified the brackets and put the tile on. Notice the gap, it is because the granite backsplash on the other side was cut a little too tall so it's not sitting on anything but the brackets and the granite on the other side.

Which is another reason I worry that 2 brackets are not enough. I would very much like to be wrong and not have to tear up the tile.

I looked into the kind of brackets that go on top of the knee wall, but would taking the granite off and installing those cause the granite to crack

• Related Discussions

HELP!!! My sink is falling down off the granite

Q

Comments (4)
    We had the same problem on Thanksgiving of all days. We got a scrap 2 X 4 and didn't use the sink. Turns out the granite guys left out part of the epoxy on several sinks in our house. They came out removed the sink then correctly glued the sink. When you find someone to repair it you may want to look into clips as well. I'm pretty sure there is an old thread on this subject as well.
    ...See More

Can you tell me the pros/ cons of a leather finish on granite?

Q

Comments (67)
    Yes, it’s loud. I’m not saying you shouldn’t love it or that it’s hard to clean, and I, too, get many compliments. Want to know what it sounds like? Take a small plate to a showroom that has a piece and slide it across. We have the leather at our lake house and polished at home, and I like both, the leather because it’s unique, the shiny because it’s so beautiful in my newly remodeled kitchen. My mother-in-law, who is 94, comes to the lake with us and slides EVERYTHING across the leathered granite surface, and by the end of the day my nerves are frazzle.d. Just know what you’re buying and be okay with it. Both are wonderful choices, as far as I’m concerned.
    ...See More

Anyone used 'Granite Shield'? Go with granite or quartz?

Q

Comments (17)
    I originally wanted engineered stone (quartz) b/c I had heard how maintenance-intensive granite was...in particular, having to seal it several times a year. I did some research and discovered that in reality, most granite is NOT labor/maintenance-intensive, it's pretty easy. Granted I do have one of the so-called "bullet-proof" stones (Absolute Black Premium), but even for those that aren't, sealing is really only needed once or twice a year and is actually pretty easy. Regardless of what anyone tells you, nothing, including engineered stone, is "bullet-proof". I have some rainbow "stains" around my sink cutouts & faucet holes that are due, I think, to fabrication and nothing can be done about it...but nothing else has happened to it and it's never been sealed. Engineered stone has resin, so some thought about being careful with heat is in order (melting/scorching). I suspect it's not a huge risk, but it's possible. Granite might crack due to thermal shock if you put a hot pot on it...again, I don't know how big a risk is, but it is a risk. Both can be chipped. Both can be scratched if something harder than it is dragged across it (like a diamond ring!) Even engineered stone can stain...I've seen a post or two about that (it's been awhile, but I remember the shock!) I suggest that whatever you decide on, take home a sample of your slab (if granite) or a sample of your chosen engineered stone and test it. See the "Read Me" thread for some of the tests to perform. Scroll down to the "Miscellaneous Information" topic (it links to a "stone advice & checklist" thread). Here is a link that might be useful: Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens!
    ...See More

Shout out to Granite Pro's! Please advise

Q

Comments (7)
    If all of your pieces will fit on the half slab that you are working with, your fabricator should be able to fab everything - but remember - everything has to fit so that the 1/2 slab's "yield" will work out to what you want... Also - chances are that your Fabricator's "Stone Stretcher" is not working so y'all are going to have to do your planning on the layout well.... If it's any consolation, MY stone stretcher is down too = parts shortage.... ;-) As to the cost of you should be able to expect - get a bid from your Fabricator - Me telling you what HE should be charging YOU..... is like HIM... telling MY customer.... what I should be charging for MY work... Sorry - IMHO - out of respect for free enterprise AND your Fabricator - I don't feel that It would be fair for me to comment on the price question.... get a couple of bids if you already own the 1/2 slab - check references, and before your choose which one you feel best going with - trust your gut HTH kevin
    ...See More
  • mykonosberry
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The general contractor wants to install corbels over the uneven tile by drilling through it all the way to the stud. From some googling, it seemed like it shouldn't be done that way and that the bracket shouldn't even be over dry wall let alone uneven tile. What's correct? Can we just do it over the tile and still be safe?

• javiwa
    8 years ago

I'll let the pros provide feedback on what's 'correct' (i.e., structurally sound), but this is what we did:

Our bar top is 86" long -- four brackets may be overkill, but better safe than sorry! We cut into the drywall so the brackets could be mounted directly onto the vertical studs of the knee wall.

We purchased our brackets from originalgranitebracket.com. We needed the 5Hx4V version, but wanted the vertical portion to be longer. The owner extended that length at no extra charge, and shipping was free. Our brackets aren't as pretty as yours, but I'll never worry the bar top will come crashing down on anyone! Best of luck.

ETA: Once the entire project's finished (drywall patch), we'll repaint the visible portions of the bracket a different color.

• mykonosberry
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@javiwa: actually that's exactly what I want to do to fix this, but can I remove the small sections of tile and dry wall and install the new brackets with the granite in place? without cracking the granite?

• javiwa
    8 years ago

mykonosberry: these are questions I'd wait for one of our pros to answer. However, I can understand your concerns. Beautiful kitchen and stone, BTW.

ETA: It might be helpful if you would post views of what how the two brackets are currently attached.

mykonosberry thanked javiwa
  • javiwa
    8 years ago

Our guys installed/affixed the bar top onto the top of the knee wall with adhesive, but also cut into our drywall (at the end of the bar top) and wedged the top's end into the drywall 'slot'. The brackets were installed afterward, so we didn't need to remove the top, once in place. I've seen the 'top of knee wall' brackets you're referring to, but for us, removing the top wasn't an option. I believe that's where you are.

mykonosberry thanked javiwa
  • Buehl
    8 years ago

There should be a support every 30" if you're using supports or corbels.

The Counter Balance system, as previously mentioned is another option.

Counter Balance brackets

The 6 & 10 Rule tells you how much of the overhang needs to be supported:

• If your slab is 2 cm, you can have up to a 6" overhang without support.
    • If your slab is 3 cm you can have up to a 10" overhang without support

Keep in mind, though, that the minimum recommended seating overhang is:

• Table-height seating: 19" of clear knee/leg space
    • Counter-height seating: 15" of clear knee/leg space
    • Bar-height seating: 12" of clear knee/leg space (but be aware that the surface needs to be deep enough to hold things like a dinner plate, silverware, & drink glass without the risk of knocking one or all to the lower surface - and that's around 18").
  • Buehl
    8 years ago

Bigger question - why is your future MIL dictating what supports you should have??? Is she paying for it? If so, ask her if she is also willing to pay for a new countertop when this one fails and any medical bills for anyone who gets hurt (or pay out if anyone sues...)

It sounds like your fabricator did it right - and then a non-expert (GC, MIL, SO) decided s/he knows better than the expert????

• silken1
    8 years ago

I'm no builder. But since the granite backsplash was cut too tall, shouldn't the granite guys have cut it to be flush with the top? Then at least part of the granite bar would be resting on a solid surface? Wouldn't it be better, to pull that bar piece of granite off, trim the backsplash down to flush. Then while it is off, fasten some supports onto the bare surface and have them extend out to support the overhang piece. Then no tile needs to be ripped off. Bear in mind I am not a builder and may misunderstand the scenario, but from my take on this, it is what I would want.

• Buehl
    8 years ago

I wish AZStoneConsulting (Kevin), StoneGirl, FloridaJoshua, or other stone pros were still around.

Edited to add: Ah! But Joseph is around to take their places!

• Buehl
    8 years ago

Hmmm...now that I think about it, maybe even the fabricator messed up. It's my understanding that stone must be installed completely level and over an even surface.

It sounds like the tile installer messed up to start with - not making the tile flush with the top of the knee wall. The fabricator should have either insisted your GC fix the problems or maybe installed a plywood surface on top of the knee wall & tile to make the surface level and even.

Why was the backsplash tile installed before the counters? That's not how it should be done - it should be the other way around.

• javiwa
    8 years ago

I agree, Buehl. It makes this layperson extremely uncomfortable knowing a piece of granite that size is teetering on the BS edge on one side and two brackets on the other.

• silken1
    8 years ago

Buehl, the OP says it is a granite backsplash on the other side that is too tall and not flush with the surface. That's why I think they should come back, remove the top slab and get things all done properly.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

"The 6 & 10 Rule tells you how much of the overhang needs to be supported:

• If your slab is 2 cm, you can have up to a 6" overhang without support.
    • If your slab is 3 cm you can have up to a 10" overhang without support"

True enough, but that applies when the 1/3-2/3 rule of cantilevering applies (1' can cantilever over 2' of cabinets). You can't have 10" unsupported when you only have 7" or so over the wall.

The supports here are inadequate. A triangulated brace mounted over the tile and into the studs will be structurally sound, but you've got to like that look. You could pull the top and inlay 1" square tube into the top plate. No knee knockers and adequate top support.

I swear I'm not making this up, but I just made an appointment with a customer to fix this very thing this afternoon. $600.00 +-.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    8 years ago

Ps. The granite installers never should have installed this. What were they thinking? Contact the granite co. owner and insist he come out or the service manager. If he doesn't, explain that it isn't safe. My granite company is obsessive about support and will refuse to install if something isn't up to par. Your granite people should have said, "well come back to finish this when you've done XYZ".

Where did you get those brackets? Were they designed for heavy support like quartz and granite? I wonder if modifying the bracket made it weaker? Or was that piece for looks only? There are companies that make these "invisible" brackets just like this and they aren't cheap.

But also, you need more of them. I would have the granite folks come back out, remove the top, either cut down the backsplash or build up the pony wall to align with the backsplash.. Have them install several PLATES like I posted above...and maybe put plates near the brackets you already installed...unless you know for sure they can be used for stone.

Did your installer use any kind of build up under the raised ledge top? If someone leans on an unsupported section....it could CRACK and fall down.

And I agree with Beuhl...have your MIL, SO and granite fabricator pay for anyone that is hurt or killed by this. Can you imagine the weight of this falling on a foot????

Your MIL and SO are wrong....this is not good enough. This is kinda scary and I wouldn't sit there.

• suzanne_sl
    8 years ago

I agree that this whole setup looks so unsafe. My advice has to do with relationships rather than the granite though. You need to have a word with your fiancé about what it means to be married. It means that the two of you will be a team that stands together. You may (actually will!) disagree with each other, but you present a united front to MIL, GC, or whoever after you settle it between you. It was inappropriate for MIL to direct the GC to do anything to your house without specific directions from you and/or your fiancé. It's your house, not Mom's. Mom may give her opinion if asked, but she's not the homeowner here and it wasn't her place. This issue will come up in other forms throughout your marriage and if you don't talk about it now, it may become a major cause of marital discord. Just sayin'.

• mykonosberry
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@Joseph Corlett, LLC

" A triangulated brace mounted over the tile and into the studs will be structurally sound, but you've got to like that look."

Could I do the same over the tile mounting with front mount brackets like this one instead of the triangulated type? http://www.countertopbracket.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FMP 

Also can these be mounted over the tile that is uneven and not flat? each little tile is a bit taller or shorter than the one next to it.

Eta: proper link

http://www.countertopbracket.com/countertop-support-bracket-front-mount-p/fmb.htm

• dovetonsils
    8 years ago

That bracket as designed is useless. The part that forms the triangle (the curved member) is actually the part that does most of the work in this type of bracket. The curved member should be straight and preferably further braced by additional webbing or using a thicker bar. This looks like a bracket you would use to put up a decorative shelf, not heavy granite that someone can lean on.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

"Also can these be mounted over the tile that is uneven and not flat? each little tile is a bit taller or shorter than the one next to it."

mykonosberry:

Yes, simply shim the bracket to level and keep it plumb.

Unfortunately, your bracket link shows nothing.

No matter the configuration of the bracket, curved triangulation or not, it must be rigid. Unmodified "L" brackets and steel on the flat are not stiff enough.

P.S.:

I offer marriage counseling in addition to countertops. Hose your MIL and see if SO supports you. It's you or her, there's no polite way to say it.

mykonosberry thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • eam44
    8 years ago

Do you like the look of the tile there? Would you be heartbroken if they took all the tile off and replaced it with drywall that they painted grey, like your cabinets? That would eliminate the need for drilling through the tile, and eliminate the tile/granite mismatch.

• mykonosberry
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well the general contractor kept saying that removing just the tile to mount front mount brackets will cause the granite to crack and that he doesnt want to do it so I doubt he'll remove all the tile. Also the tile was all just put in there so I doubt the SO would ever agree. I am willing to make this a diy project with front mount brackets if someone would confirm that just removing tile it is unlikely to Crack the granite (I know that there is always the possibility) Although now I'm kinda afraid that the granite will not just Crack A bit but fall on my face as I work.

• silken1
    8 years ago

I still think it needs to be made to sit flat down on the pony wall also so the backsplash on the other side needs to be shortened. The granite guys should come back and correct that. They must have template it so it shouldn't be taller than the pony wall if template correctly.

mykonosberry thanked silken1
  • Buehl
    8 years ago

Silken...thanks for the correction. Assuming the fabricator put in the backsplash, I guess s/he also messed up - or at least did not fix it like Joseph described later - unless that's what all the brackets were doing that the OP's MIL/GC/SO decided to remove.

Joseph...thanks for the additional information. I need to add that to the Stone thread.

• Buehl
    8 years ago

Joseph - I emailed you via your "Contact Me" link on your Houzz page.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

Pull one of these down the bottom of the top and the granite's coming off without breaking.

• eam44
    8 years ago

Mykonos, as long as we are at it, reconfiguring your bar area, taking off the granite, calming down the appearance, there is a way to re-build this without corbels if that's the look you (or your MIL) want. As Treb says, you would ask your installer to do as follows: "You could pull the top and inlay 1" square tube into the top plate. No knee knockers and adequate top support." And after they have pulled it, you can have them remove the tile by pulling down the drywall it is mounted to and replacing it with a new piece of drywall.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    8 years ago

I can't see how this would be a DIY job. You need to get your contractors to do it properly. If you think you would be able to amend the installation later, by yourself, without family issues, then you really should try to get it done correctly now.

Who owns this house? Who is going to live there?

I have to wonder, based on the OP's screen name, if there is more than a future MIL issue here -- perhaps extended future family or close community is involved, and she is very reluctant to rock that boat very far.

• mykonosberry
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok so it's been an effort but my SO agrees with me that we should add brackets. I have a few more questions

1. Can I just install 3 brackets without taking off the counter top or fixing the backsplash that is too high?

So how important is it to fix the backsplash so that the counter sits on the knee wall? Because original installers must have thought it was ok with the number of brackets they originally had right? I have emailed them to ask them for advice, but they have not responded. I have contacted other granite installers for quotes as well, and only 1 wanted to work on someone else's installed counters.

6x6x2.5, .38" thick A36 steel bracket

1. if we install over the tile, is it ok if the tile cracks while drilling? As long as the tile doesn't fall out after the bracket is installed, is that ok?

The contractor is still waffling about if he will even remove some tile and install the brackets directly to the stud, we have offered to pay him extra -whatever he thinks is fair to do it and he still doesn't really want to do it, so I'd like to see if this option is viable.

@everyone giving me relationship advice: Thanks for caring. I think my SO took so long to convince because he is was thinking that his mother's remodel experience meant that she knew what she was doing. I always thought that I had a pretty good relationship with my future in laws, but this remodel has really brought out something weird. I think they feel like I'm looking down on them when I disagree with them or choose something different than they would? FMIL has gone through something like 10 remodels (different houses) over the years so she really feels like she knows what shes doing, hell I thought she did too, but maybe that's why she's dug her heels in on this bar issue. And the floor issue and the paint brand issue and ugh so many issues. Oops this is becoming a vent/rant.

• silken1
    8 years ago

My MIL was similar and it strained my relationship with her son at times. But they are a generation older, so even if she has good ideas, they may not suit your tastes. I think it might be good to put your foot down now (in a nice way) or you will always be getting pushed around. I wish I had stood up for myself better.

mykonosberry thanked silken1
  • suzanne_sl
    8 years ago

Some helpful phrases:

* We really appreciate your advice. SO and I have talked this over and we've decided ___.

* Puke Purple is a lovely color, but we think we'd rather go with Amazing Peony in this room.

* I'm not a big fan of X flooring. It's perfectly fine, but not my favorite. We've decided on Y.

FMIL's reply: blah, blah, blah

Your reply: see above. Just keep changing out a word here or there and keep repeating the same thing. Smile. Be sincere. Be intractable. Together.

You may decide in the future that FMIL was right about something, but it's your home to live and learn. Most "mistakes" aren't critical, especially ones having to do with paint brand or white oak vs cork floors. Listen to MFIL's experience, but make your own decisions. When you have a baby you'll be in a much better position to fend off Grandma's ultimatums about diapers, formula, sleep routines, pacifiers, etc. Believe me, Grandma will have ideas on those and many more subjects. ;-)

mykonosberry thanked suzanne_sl
  • rebunky
    8 years ago

Are you kidding me? You mean to tell me that top is basically just teetering on that little backsplash piece and two pitiful metal shelf brackets? Please do not go anywhere near that thing. Yes, it absolutely could fall on you. This is NOT a DIY fix!

It doesn't matter who told the GC to remove and modify the brackets. If he actually did it, then he is totally responsible to fix this properly.

So, what if the MIL told the GC to tear down a load bearing wall, would he do it and wait for the roof to cave in? I am sorry, but this is just plain stupid and incompetent.

I would tell your contractor to get over there immediately and support that overhang with 2x4s or something underneath to temporarily prevent it from falling. It really looks that dangerous to me.

Those new brackets you got do look nice and strong. I would want GC to remove the tile and sheetrock and attach the new brackets to the studs. Then patch the tile back. It does seem like the fabricator should never have installed it with that backsplash piece taller then the wall. However, it still should have been caught by the GC and dealt with. If the granite top breaks, someone is responsible to replace it, and it isn't you.

I am actually really annoyed at this whole situation for you. You are the only one with an ounce of common sense here. I like that advice from Suzanne. I'd definitely nip this MIL thing in the bud real quick.

mykonosberry thanked rebunky
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

"I'd definitely nip this MIL thing in the bud real quick."

Tell it, girlfriend.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    8 years ago

Re-read what Joe advised about how to fix this properly, several posts up.

Actually, after looking at your current brackets again, I don't think removing the decorative curve detracts from the brackets' strength at all. They look like they were inadequate for the job from the beginning even if you had as many as originally planned.

The problem is you have a large and VERY heavy piece of stone balanced on a tiny edge with only brackets maintaining the position. The stone's center of gravity is far from any solid support, and I don't think even those heavier brackets can do the job over time as gravity will constantly be placing excessive stress on them. In addition, to install them on top of tile (as you are asking about) might increase the risk, as the constant pressure from the brackets might slowly deteriorate the tile until it fails.

Improving the base that the stone sits on helps to prevent the above because the center of gravity then becomes closer to the support, therefore less stress on the supporting structures.

The installer and GC need to take it all down and install it properly -- get a level, solid and strong surface for it to rest on, and properly install support pieces . If the stone cracks (and Joe has stated that it shouldn't if handled properly) they are responsible to replace it because they are the ones that didn't install properly to begin with.

You might need to sacrifice some of the tile, but that should be easily replaced.

You and SO need to be assertive and firm. No extra payment should be required -- you already paid for it to be done correctly but it was not! GC likely is "reluctant" because he is looking forward to his next job and wants to be done with yours.

Good luck

mykonosberry thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • eam44
    8 years ago

What they said. And don't be reluctant to lose the tile altogether. It's a blessing in disguise.

• mykonosberry
    Original Author
    8 years ago

update for the curious: I finally got a hold of the original granite installer and had an appointment made for him to come out and look it over/ give me an estimate. He missed the appointment and isn't returning any calls or texts sent his way the past 3 days. He's the owner of the company too. Maybe something happened, maybe he's just like that. In any case, my GC has agreed to install the front mounting brackets directly to the studs and retile over it for $100, which makes my S.O. happy because he picked out the tile and keeps saying that he loves it. So that's what's gonna happen. I just want it to be safe and over with so I can move on to the next thing, which is the new couch FMIL bought us as a surprise which doesn't fit the look I wanted to go for AT ALL. yay...she's so niiice... (Q_Q)

• eam44
    8 years ago

I'm glad you got the safety stuff taken care of. As for your fiancées taste, you're going to learn to love it....or subtly change it God willing. Thank your future mother in law for her kindness, then in the same breath ask her if you can get store credit so you can get the couch you want...with a smile on your face. Best of luck!

mykonosberry thanked eam44
  • mark_rachel
    8 years ago

Yeah, get the MIL situation fixed FAST!! For the sake of your future marriage! Just tell her thanks, but no thanks.

• just_janni
    8 years ago

rebunky = spunky. I like it!

• suzanne_sl
    8 years ago

"...he picked out the tile and keeps saying that he loves it. So that's what's gonna happen."

LOL!! We have a granite top on our dresser (7' long) that DH absolutely, completely loves, but I'm mostly tolerant of. We've been married 45 years now. If he really loves that granite, so be it. Good thing it wasn't the kitchen, but as it turns out we both loved the same granite for the kitchen.

• rebunky
    8 years ago

Jannicone, Lol! Yes, I'm known for letting out my spunk every once in a while. Rebunky is my nickname from my husband of 23 years. :-D

mykonosberry, glad to here the good news on the countertop fix. I am not surprised in the least to hear about FMIL's surprise couch gift tactic. Classic revengeful passive aggressive move for you winning the countertop battle. Do you want to borrow my pruning shears? Haha!