SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katydidnt56

Need help choosing color or vinyl pool liner

Kathryn Swatland
8 years ago

We are having a vinyl liner pool installed next month. Unfortunately, gunite was out of the question because of price. It will be an 18' x 36' rectangular pool. I have looked at 1000's (not even joking) of pictures and I'm starting to get stressed out about choosing the liner. We like darker color pools. I am having a hard time finding pictures of real pools with the options I have. Most of the ones I like and find are either plaster or pebbletec - french gray or dark gray or black interior. I want it to be darker but not so dark it isn't inviting and you can't see the bottom. Any advice? Anyone have a "gray granite", "sandpebble" or "black granite" liner from Imperial Pools, The Vinyl Works? Here is a link to the options: Imperial Pools - Vinyl Works. I have saved many pictures from Houzz showing the look we are going for. I don't know if I am allowed to add them or not? Please help. My husband's patience is running out and so is my time to choose. Thank you in advance! ;)

Comments (145)

• burzic
    3 years ago

• Juli
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@Diana Bier Interiors, LLC Did you use pavers around your pool or is that cut concrete? Thank you! @valeriep14 what is the name of the pavers and coping you used around your pool with Aqua Blue liner? Thank you Both! I am trying to decide between stamped concrete and pavers.

• Related Discussions

Calling all Vinyl liner pool owners-Help with pattern!

Q

Comments (8)
    I suggest you try to see whatever liner you want in an actual pool. Being in the water changes the look. My pool builder has 4 pools on location and each liner is actually up to 4 different patterns pieced together so you can see what they look like in the water. All of the liner samples were about 6 feet long with a weighted bottom so you could put them in a pool and see how it looked. It is hard as there are many dozens to pick from! We chose Pacific Prizm which didn't look like much hanging on a rack but I thought it was cool and refreshing looking in the water-it has a faux tile boarder which is easy to keep clean with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.
    ...See More

Mosaic vinyl liner - help needed!

Q

Comments (1)
    I just installed one for a customer and they decided to go full Mosaic with no tile pattern on the top and it looked great...
    ...See More

Vinyl Pool Liners

Q

Comments (1)
    Which did you pick? I'm trying to find a photo of sandpebble by legacy. Thanks
    ...See More

Thoughts on these vinyl liner pool designs ??

Q

Comments (20)
    @shead I hear ya. That's why I nixed the 2 shallow end idea and thought maybe a gradual would work? My fear is if I do 3.5 for 18 feet and then the slope to deep end a) the slope will have to be steeper and b) it will be too shallow ... It would be 3.5 for 9 feet then it takes another 9 feet to get to 4.5. It hits 4 feet at 13.5 then doesn't hit 4.5 until 18. I was thinking that way if you had taller folks that wanted to stand or play bball or something they could stand toward that part and shorter folks on the other part... I've read a lot of people think 3.5 is too shallow but It's hard to determine if that's water depth or pool depth [there's 4-6" of waterline and some use 3.5 to say both ways so it's confusing lol]..
    ...See More
  • Jaybee84
    3 years ago

This is the legacy gray granite liner

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 years ago

Hi Juli, the pool patio surround is natural Bluestone.

• gulley05
    3 years ago

Does anyone have pictures of NPT's grey tahoe or blue tahoe vinyl liners?? Thanks.

• Andy Chandler
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have two photos from my pool builder of Ridgeline / Grey Tahoe. I am trying to decide between this or the aqua blue.

• Andy Chandler
    3 years ago

• soniaart
    3 years ago

Which liner would you be using gif the aqua . My only choice in canada is charcoal or ocean midnight .
    Does anyone have ocean midnight ?

• soniaart
    3 years ago

Sorry it’s called grey stone not charcoal the one I am considering but I would like it a little darker

• costantina
    3 years ago

I am also considering Ocean Midnight liner and would love to see photos if anyone can share. My concern is the colour of the liner in the shade or on a cloudy day...I’ve seen some pics where is looks quite Aqua green as opposed to aqua blue.

• Melissa Di Scola
    3 years ago

I’m looking at ocean midnight as well but so unsure bc I don’t want it to look green! I want a light blue colour without going white!

• Andy Chandler
    2 years ago

So, we went with Ridgeline/Gray Tahoe NPT liner. I know questions have been asked what it looks like, and I thought I'd share ours. We JUST put water in this weekend, and the pump isn't running and everything is a mess - but you can see how the liner looks here in shade and full sun

• PRO
    2 years ago

@Andy Chandler, that looks so pretty--great color!!

• Erica
    2 years ago

@Andy Chandler Can you confirm that your NPT Gray Tahoe is a vinyl liner? I have fallen in love with it but it sounds like its a plaster (?) surface on one part of the NPT website, not vinyl...hoping it's vinyl, I'm not finding anything else that I like...

• PeaceOfHome
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

What is your opinion on this liner? CT home, 36 x 18 pool

https://www.lathampool.com/products/royal-seabrook/

• Kathy Benjamin
    2 years ago

Does anyone have experience with a pure white liner? Would love to use it but both manufacturer and pool contractor are advising against it due to potential staining. The only other option in the white liner range is a pebbled look with blue flecks but I'd like to do a simpler look like plain painted concrete.

• PRO
    2 years ago

We had a plain white liner many years ago, and it gives the water a very light blue color. It also showed every leaf, dirt and stain, and I wouldn't recommend it. Go with some sort of mottled finish, like a pebble, granite, or tile pattern.

• Kathy Benjamin
    2 years ago

Thank you so much Diana. Really appreciate you responding! I love the light blue colour for the water but wouldn't want to see stains. Interesting that the pure white finish shows stains so much more than white mottled. Thanks again!

• PRO
    Robert's Properties
    2 years ago

I love mine and I studied forever!

• Kathy Benjamin
    2 years ago

Gorgeous pool and backyard! Thanks for posting!

• PeaceOfHome
    2 years ago

I had wanted Island Granite and just learned will take at least 8 weeks

• mommykoop
    2 years ago

Kathy, I also wanted a white liner. Tara Liners just came out with over called Oasis and it's stunning!

We just installed it and the hexagons look modern and help to hide the dirt.

• Kathy Benjamin
    2 years ago

Thanks so much mommykoop! Appreciate you letting me know. I'll check it out. I'm in Canada so hopefully it's available here. Enjoy your gorgeous pool!

• mommykoop
    2 years ago

Ooh! There's a liner called Urban Marble from Latham that looks white with some gray veining. I wanted to order it but it's only available in Canada! 😁

• Kathy Benjamin
    2 years ago

Perfect! I'll check it out. Thanks so much for the heads up! You made a great choice in the end though!

• Karen Eagle
    2 years ago

I need to replace my pool liner. I want a gray color. In addition to some of the above mentioned colors, does anyone have Aqua Intense Sterling Shore by Merlin? Are you loving it? Please post pics. Thanks in advance.

• Anne Boyd
    2 years ago

Hi Katie, what did you end up going with? I am in this position now and of the same mind as you were five years ago. Could you post photos and let me know your thoughts? thank you!

• smf1276
    2 years ago

@valeriep14 could you please share your pool coping and pavers that you installed withh your aqua liner pool?

• John Babatsikos
    2 years ago

@valeriep14 could you please share the liner name you used to get that Aqua blue color. Do you have any other photos of that liner. It is exactly what my wife and I are looking for and our pool is Identical to yours it seems.

• soniaart
    2 years ago

I used greystone and the water is aqua . We love it

• John Babatsikos
    2 years ago

@soniaart do you have any photos? What is the brand of the liner?

• ccameron333
    2 years ago

Does anyone have a photo of the ocean midnight liner in a pool? We have a scandina grey pavers by permacom and I think it may work

• ccameron333
    2 years ago

@burzic Nice pool ! What is your pool liner?

• ccameron333
    2 years ago

@valeriep

can you share your liner colour? beautiful!

• carrieann33
    2 years ago

Has anyone used Sandy Point or Lake Como pool

liner

• michellegouge
    last year

Does anyone have a photo of the Urban Marble liner installed!?

• User
    11 months ago

Has anyone used the Latham Reef liner. I've looked at so many pictures on line of this liner and some pics are exactly the colour I want but then you see another picture and it's way too 'greenish'. Help !

• PRO
    11 months ago

I've not used Latham Reef, but I can tell you that the more beige in a vinyl liner, the more green it's going to look. Latham's Sandstone liner will give you a very greenish looking water. To keep the water looking blue, you need white, gray, blue and some black. Also the darker the liner, the darker the water will look. Gray tones down the sharpness of the blue and gives you a slate blue look. Latham Reef looks like it has a lot of blue and white, but I'm only looking at it online, so in person it probably looks different.

But also keep in mind that there are lots of factors that affect the pool water color--how much greenery you have around the pool, whether it's a sunny, cloudy or overcast day, the color of your pool deck, the time of day, the quality of the water, etc.

• User
    11 months ago

Thank you Diana for your response.

I think the pictures on Houzz have been the most helpful because they put actual pictures of the Reef liner. On google they say it is Reef but they just put any teal pool no matter how dark or light it is just to get you to click on their sight that then takes you to their business. So that is what was scaring me. I found out the dark greenish pools that were listed as Reef were like you said, ones with tan or baishe tones in the liner and I found those exact pools on Houzz under a completely different Latham name.

Our pool will be in total sun on steroids. Sooooo bright all day. We are a new development so our trees are still small so not much shadows either. And from what I see on line the colour of Reef at night is very tranquil and calming which is what I want to look at when sitting by the bonfire.

I think I have made my decision to go with Reef and will send pictures when our pool is complete so anyone else suffering from the same indecision on a liner can see a true colour of this liner.

Kat

• PRO
    11 months ago

@User Another aspect to keep in mind is that online or print images do not accurately render color. Computer monitors are calibrated differently and all photos can be manipulated to change the color. But I think that you will be fine with Reef as long as it doesn't have much beige in it.

Good luck--looking forward to seeing your pool!

• somz410
    9 months ago

Kat, did you ever get the reef liner out in ? Do you have pictures ? Thanks !

• ccameron333
    9 months ago

midnight ocean is beautiful and looks nice with gray pavers

• User
    9 months ago

Hi somz410

Our pool goes in in 2 weeks. We finally decided on the 'reef' liner after doing a tour of our subdivision and checking out neighbours pools. From this we definetely knew we didn't want a blue pool. Most neighbours went with light or dark blue. And one had black 😵‍💫 that was a bit scary looking to me! I love the teal colour of the reef liner and how it reminds me of the Caribbean ocean. I'll send you pictures once the job is finished.

But, the liner was just the start. Trying to pick interlock stone colour to match up with our 3 year old walkways was not easy. And then deciding on coping (boarder or no boarder???) and the pool walls, and landscaping, and shrubs, took us back to brousing Houzz for ideas, as well as visiting the stone companies regularily. I think we came up with a unique design and colour combination though, and can't wait to see the finished project.

Our stone is from Techo Bloc and we went with a chestnut brown to accent our teal water colour.

Kat

• PRO
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

I'm going to add one more comment on vinyl liners. In time they will fade--both from the chlorine in the water and the sun. My first pool's gray liner faded to almost white, and the water became a light turquoise. Not what I envisioned, but what can you do?

• User
    9 months ago

Hi Diana

Thank you for your comment. I'm not sure where you live but I'm in northern Ontario and at best we will get 5 months that the pool will see sun. The rest of the time it is covered up or under snow. And we are doing a salt water pool....and yes a 'form' of chlorine as it does its chemical conversion thing, but nothing as potent as the old chlorine pucks that left you smelling like a public swimming pool. So hopefully our pool liner will still be the wonderful teal colour for many many years.

• PRO
    9 months ago

I'm in southern NY, on Long Island, so we only have the pool open for 3 months a year at most. The fading is very imperceptible from year to year, and it took 12 years to turn almost totally white. Also, keep in mind that the chlorine and chemicals are in the pool all year long, especially if you have winter service like we do.

• Kim Demartino
    last month

Hi everyone! I’m having the worst time trying to pick a liner that makes the water look light aqua/turquoise. I was picking island beaches and the company who makes the liner said it’s terrible and no one likes it bc the water looks green. Please does anyone have suggestions?

• soniaart
    last month

I chose greystone and I love it . It makes the water aqua

• soniaart
    last month

Midnight ocean is really nice 2 . My girlfriend has it . Also aqua

• Kim Demartino
    last month

Do you know what brand the liner is from? Being that every company changes the name. Thanks for your help.