SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allie_szot

Fertilizer Questions (Fish emulsion, Dr Earth, Plant tone?) help...

Allie Szot
8 years ago

I have my main focus on 3 different fertilizers, I've looked up opinions and recommendations on the garden forum here and also just browsing the web, I feel I'm getting such mixed answers that it's flinging me left and right... Right when I think I have a set forth plan, I read another article and boom, back to the drawing board! Here's my situation: I have both in-ground tomatoes (brandywine, celebrity (3), and better boy) - they are in foundation dirt with lots of rocks (i tried picking out as many as i could), I did amend the soil with 2.25 cubic feet of Master Nursery Bumper crop & I have 2 celebrity tomato plants in a 5 gallon bucket from home depot in Dr. Earth Vegetable potting mix. I'm doing a little experiment to see which ones thrive and produce the most veggies, I've heard people had horrible and great luck with rocky dirt, so will see.

So anyways, my focus is Dr. Earth Vegetable & Herb fertilizer, Plant tone (tomato tone was discontinued at Home Depot), & Alaskan Fish Emulsion! GO head and give me input on which you'd prefer over the other, & if i should just not even use one of them on the tomatoes.

I need the Dr. Earth regardless, I just planted basil, and cilantro, and a banana pepper plant (all 3 are in containers) lol which is why its thrown in there!

Plant tone = I've seen people stand by it really fondly, I've read that you side dress with it and its a gradual releaser, When should I add this, how often should I add to the ground and container tomatoes? I saw something where they add it once a month to their in-ground tomatoes, but I'm feeling that, that isn't enough?

Dr. Earth Veggie & Herb fertilizer, of course fertilizing should be done more often with container gardens, so how often should I add this to them, I also have the same question for my inground tomatoes (I've read that you don't need to fertilize until your tomato plants start to set veggies), I think from what I've read its more of a faster acting fertilizer than Plant Tone (correct me if I am wrong).

Finally, Fish Emulsion, I heard this is one of people's favorite, especially if container gardening, So my questions are - how often should I water this into my container tomatoes (I've read once a week, once every 2-3 weeks.... so confused at this point) & as for watering it into the ground tomatoes how often should I water this in? I read that a lot of people with container gardens will side dress with plant tone and water fish emulsion once a week, any suggestions on that? As for the diluting process, people on the web have recommended 2 tablespoons per gallon of water, so as for technical advice, do I just water the diluted fish emulsion until i see water coming through the bottom holes? My big thing is I don't want to over fertilize with fish emulsion, which is why the big question to me is HOW OFTEN :0!

Thank you in advance for people's responses!

Allie

Comments (17)