SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spanishsunlover

Help with layout for retirement home/kitchen in Spain

spanishsunlover
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi all: I'm mulling signing a contract for a home to be built on the Costa Del Sol in Spain and am not yet satisfied with any layout I've come up with for the kitchen. Hoping some fresh eyes may see some possibilities that are eluding me.

First, a bit of background/explanation. What I'm actually contemplating buying is two mirror image "apartments". in a single building...more or less what we'd call in the states a duplex. Each is small--just under 60 square meters (about 600 square feet) and the builders' plans call for each to have two small bedrooms, two tiny bathrooms, a small kitchen open to a small dining/living area. As such, they're really meant for holiday rentals or vacation homes. What I want to do is open one of those apartments up for me to live in (I'm by myself) full-time, converting the space to a larger kitchen, larger living/dining room area, a medium sized bathing/dressing room and an alcove bed. The other, I would leave more or less as is. It would be available for when family and guests visit, but could also be let out on a weekly or month basis, bringing in a bit of income. That income, would of course, be welcome, but the real reason for contemplating this arrangement is that more conventional space arrangements (eg. 3 bedroom villas or terraced houses) seem to have a huge amount of space that is unused most of the time and I'd feel silly rattling around in them most of the year when I was there by myself. Plus, they are almost all designed to be multilevel and this duplex arrangement is all on one floor and provides me with an enormous terrace and another huge roof terrace, both facing the sea. You spend a lot of time on such terraces in Spain!

So, I can't change the footprint of the unit or the facade and placement of windows (though I can make the sea-facing ones larger.) Otherwise, I'm free to rearrangement the interior however I like. I've attached a sketched (to scale) of my first crack at a kitchen plan. Note that measurements are in meters and sizes of appliances are European. Most are 60 centimeters wide (about 26 inches), including refrigerators, which typically are taller and narrower than American versions.
All feedback and suggestions welcome!

Comments (5)