SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nakenfest

Need advice on slow seedling growth.

nakenfest
8 years ago

Hi,

Im in need of advice! I believe my seedling growth to be very slow, I thought theyd be alot bigger by now..

I started many different kinds of peppers and some tomatoes and cucumbers on 25th of february in rockwool cubes, kept them moist and under domes, no extra light and kept them at 82 degrees F. Some sprouted and I moved them to my cellar where I have my light setup, two lights with 4x24Watt 6500k T5 tubes in them. Had them about 3 inches above the seedlings. Keeping lights on for 18 hours per day, never saw any tendencies to stretch for the lights. No dome here.

This is were I made my first mistake, the timer didnt stop the lights and temperatures rose to 91 and quickly dried the cubes, I lost 40 seedlings and many were damaged. I quickly ordered more and planted some new at about 12th of mars. I also added a fan now for better air flow, its turned on and off with the lights.

So some of them you see in the picture are from 25th february and some from 12th mars, but Id thought theyd be bigger by now. Some sprouted after only a few days. Many of them havent grown much at all last 10 days..

From the beginning Ive used water at pH 5.5 with neutrients from Gold Label. Hydro A&B, Roots and Ultra MG at 0.25ml/l water. After a few weeks I increased them all to 0.5ml/l and just this week I increased A&B to 1ml/l. Dont know the EC levels, just ordered a meter. Ive kept the cubes moist and watered from the top in the beginning and from the bottom now when they have some roots.

The temperature in the grow area is arround 71 under the ligths and 60 when the ligths turn off.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

I have a few myself;

Maybe I shouldve kept the sprouts under a dome for longer?

Too cold during the nights?

Too much/little neutrients?

Running the fan too much?

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery