SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paschof99

North Florida Rose Garden Layout / Design Questions

Pamela Kennedy
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My husband I and I bought a home in the North Florida region recently and are working to renovate it after it sat largely unoccupied / neglected for years.

We're interested in putting in a rose garden just outside a big picture window in the back corner of the home. It appears it was a rose garden from the start, but one lone rose remains and it is in very poor condition (forgive the weed filled picture / we haven't tackled the space yet!). The space inside the hedges for the rose garden is approximately 9' wide by 15' long (wide along the house / long moving out away from the window). With the unique color of the house and roof combo (eggshell white with blue metal roof), we want to pick colors that will compliment the home as much as possible / clash as little as possible.

The room is our daughter's playroom / not one of the more formal rooms in the home so we don't mind the color combinations being a bit playful (I typically prefer clean / simple / formal but want her to enjoy the view out). My main concern is the colors fit the home as much as possible. My husband tried using a few sites to come up with complimentary colors and he believes a combination of scarlet color, coral and very faint pinkish-white might look good with the scarlet roses tallest and closest to the window, coral in front of the scarlet, and the lightest color lowest and farthest in front of the window. He put this color combo together to show me, with the blue the color of the roof, white sections to the outside matching the house exterior, and the interior colors possible rose colors.

We're doing homework to identify as humid friendly options as possible, but we've never laid out a rose garden before. I would love to hear feedback from ANYONE who has, and I'm specifically wondering:

1) Are we on the right track color wise?

2) How many colors would you choose to plant in such a space? One, 2 of the 3, all 3 of the above, or some other colors / color combinations?

3) Approximately how many bushes would you plant to fill the space, appreciating that different bushes have different dimensions.

4) Finally, any specific rose recommendations for our North Florida humid regions?

Look forward to ANY recommendations from anyone who might see this post! Lacking any layout experience, we're just wanting to do the best we can with a single planting effort as we both have fairly demanding work schedules and when free try to spend as much time with our daughter as possible.

Comments (21)