SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breanne_diles

Possibly sick young lemon tree.

Breanne Diles
8 years ago

Hey guys,

I have a young lemon tree, a little over a year old, who has been developing these brown splotches on the leaves. I took a closer look today and found these super tiny black dots that were "glued" to the leaves. The tips of the leaves areally turning brown and yellow. The roots are healthy, from what I can see (I plan to transplant it soon because he's pretty root bound), and it is growing bark and it's first branch. So, I'm assuming it's pretty healthy but I want to figure out what's happening to the leaves.

I let it dry out between waterings. Today is the very first time that I've fertilized it. I also wiped the leaves down with a solution made with rubbing alcohol and wiped off those black spots. I use bottled spring water or rain water (whichever is available) to water it. I have it sitting by a southern exposure window where it occasionally gets full sun. I live in Washington, so it's cloudy most of the time. The humidity level in the house is around 45%. Also, it's been indoors all fall and winter and I've keep the widow open at night. It is also planted in standard soil, I plan on planting it in citrus soil when I repot it.

Here are pictures, including the new growth:

Above is one of the black dots I found under the leaves. Sorry about the quality :/
I apologize about the blurry photo here, but this is to show the new branch.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Perhaps it's too rootbound? Or lack of fertilizer? Or maybe sunburn? Maybe it could be the wrong pH in the soil?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor