SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
theserialgardener

Springtime Seed Round Robin

Dan Coates
6 years ago

I find I'm jonesing for some seeds in the mail, ever get that way? Lol! Well, to fix that, hopefully, here's an idea. I'd like to find 6 other people who would like to get some flower seeds, and another 6 for some vegetable seeds. I'll start thing off by putting a small priority package in the mail with 20 different packs of commercial flower seeds to the first person on the list, who will then pick out however many packs they'd like, replace them with more commercial flower seeds, and so on until everyone has had a chance to take out whichever seeds they'd like until the package comes back to me. I'll do the same thing with vegetable seeds.

When you receive the seed package, you will find a minimum of 20 different packs of commercial seeds packed for this year. You will also find addressed mailing labels. Select your seeds from the box, replacing each packet with another commercial seed packet of either flowers or vegetables. Then replace your mailing label with that of the next person on the list, and mail it out again.

If, somewhere along the way, the mailing box needs to be replaced, they can be found for free at every post office.

I'll use the flat rate box so everyone will be paying the same amount in postage. I believe it's $6,80 right now.

In order for all the seeds to arrive in a timely manner so they can be planted in time, no one should wait to mail the box to the next person for more than one or two days, not including Sundays.

To sign up, post here and state which box you would like to receive. You may sign up for both boxes if you wish. If you do, I will put you in different places in the mailing order so you aren't dealing with more than one box at a time.

As soon as we've reached 6 sign-ups for each box, that box will begin its trip. Sign-ups will be closed as of April 5th, and hopefully the boxes will already be on their way by then.

Comments (95)

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Shawn, that would work. And, if no one else wants it and it makes it back to me, I'll be glad to plant it in my yard. Use the Lavender as a Flower replacement.

If anyone else has a question about whether or not something would work, feel free to ask. While there isn't an herb portion of this swap, some flowering herbs would be acceptable as a replacement for a flower packet. Please ask, and do not assume. This will alleviate any negativity in our swap. THANKS!!!

• shawn b
    6 years ago

Thank you Dan

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You're welcome Shawn.

• beth_b_kodiak
    6 years ago

Dan, did you bribe the PO? They sure do not have much to say about the progress of the package

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Beth, I don't know what's going on with the PO. All I'm getting is that they've accepted the package, and I knew that! I was there...lol!

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Susan/skyblue52, has opted out of the round robin. Her mailing label should be removed from the seed box and her name skipped on the mailing list.

Now, who received the box today, and what seeds did you decide to plant this year?

• beth_b_kodiak
    6 years ago

whooo whoooo It's here in Missouri and that box was crammed full.

my # one wish was granted by Dan and the mailbox fairy. Yesterday I was wishing for one specific seed. The one that I would definately go and buy if it was NOT in the box. It WAS there Yippee.

Also super pleased that it was a combo box because I signed up for the veggies as first choice and surprise..... I'm keeping four flowers and only one veggie. LOL

My wish seeds were/are sweet peas. I'm soaking them now to plant tomorrow. Anyone know if they will set seeds that I can save for next year?

If you had one wishfor seed, what would it be?

Hope to get this back out tomorrow. Spring is in full swing here and time is flying for spring planting.

Thanks Dan. good choices and a fun treat

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Beth, I've saved sweet peas and planted them the following year with no luck. BUT, I have had some luck by letting them reseed themselves. Try both ways and see what works for you. I'm glad they were in the box for you!

So, the box has reached its first destination! What did Beth put in the box? Where is she sending it next? Only time will tell..... Stay tuned and follow the box after Beth posts the new delivery confirmation number! (hopefully the PO will tell us more this time around)

• beth_b_kodiak
    6 years ago

The bird is flying again. DC# is

9505 5111 9541 6096 4999 79.

I must say we have the nicest ladies at our PO. I have lived where there were some very, "not nice" folks so this a treat

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Beth! Did you get my email?

• beth_b_kodiak
    6 years ago

Yes Dan,mission accomplished

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

thank you Beth! I knew I could count on you...lol!!

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I see the post office is scanning and posting the box like they should! Anyone want to make a guess as to where it's heading now?

• Debra Andruska
    6 years ago

Ohhhh how did I miss a real round robin! :( Have fun, everyone! Round robins are the best!!

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, Deb, you missed it... I'm thinking of doing this annually so put it on your calendar for next year!

And I see, according to the Post Office, our wandering box is out for delivery today. Awesome!!

• beth_b_kodiak
    6 years ago

great.....one day sooner than I expected

• grafton001
    6 years ago

It has arrived!!!! Have to take my daughter to feeding therapy before I can open it. The suspense is killing me, it's going to be the longest two hours ever!

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Tasha, will you be able to send the box out on Monday? Don't forget to post the goodies you found in the box, and its new delivery confirmation number...

• grafton001
    6 years ago

The box is back on the road and on its way to............

Tracking number 9505 5000 3367 6100 0001 25 says it will be there Monday.

I am happy to say that I got some tangerine dream sweet peppers, empress of India nasturtium, golden zucchini and delicate winter squash from the box, I hope someone enjoys what I added.

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You're going to like those nasturtiums! I grew some in my front yard last summer and received a lot of compliments on them.

Where oh where will the box land next? We'll know on Monday! I like how you all are keeping this going so quickly!

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Our box of seeds is now in Hollywood!

Hollywood Maryland, that is...

• beth_b_kodiak
    6 years ago

OH, I know where that is. I spent way too many years in MD but it is a very good place to garden.

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    6 years ago

The box arrived today !!! Woo Hoo !! that baby is STUFFED FULL !! I am going to enjoy browsing thru the seeds and try to restrain myself LOL !! I will post again when I mail it !!!

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So far the box has traveled from Michigan and visited Beth then Tasha, and is now with Iris. It has yet to visit Shawn and Treasa before returning to Traverse City. Any guesses as to who Iris will be sending it to?

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Shawn, when Iris mails out the box, it'll be coming to you next. I didn't want to say anything, but you've got some special circumstances when it comes to getting your mail so I thought I'd let you know so you could be looking for its arrival.

• shawn b
    6 years ago

You didnt have to I was tracking it.

I was going to guess on your question about where it was going next after it was mailed.

If I am correct you started at the furthest south state and worked its way back to the closest state to you.

Where my mail is delivered to I always get it now it just might be a day later.

Thank you for letting me know to make sure to look out for it

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

you are right Shawn, I tried to give the box the best route possible, putting the shortest distances between each stop that I could. Have fun perusing the seeds, I believe Iris is going to try to mail the box out today, so hopefully you'll have it on Monday.

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I mailed the box this afternoon ! Tracking # is 9505510542826106088494 One of the veggie seeds I chose was Dragon Tongue green beans... I grew them a few years ago and they were great so I am looking forward to growing them again. I chose 5 veggie and 5 flower packs and added 5 each of veggie and flower seed packs, hope someone likes them ! Thank you Dan for including me in this round robin, its been fun !

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The Post Office says the box is out for delivery, so Shawn should have it later today.

Treasa, you'll be getting the box next, and then it'll be coming home to Traverse City.

I've got to admit, I'm excited about finding out what I'm going to wind up planting in the garden this year!

• uptreasa
    6 years ago

I'll be waiting! It will be fun to see what the robin is bringing.

• shawn b
    6 years ago

I have received the box will be sending out first thing wednesday morning

Wow there is alot to select from

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

A Large Selection is what you were supposed to receive Shawn...lol! Enjoy yourself and pick out some goodies for you garden!

• shawn b
    6 years ago

I will be mailing out the box first thing this morning and post the tracking number later on when I get home.I got 8 veggies and 1 flower out of the box replaced it with 8 veggies and 1 flower.Just to name a few I got a San Marzano tomato, mesclun mix and a english double mixed daisy can not wait to try.I hope the next person enjoys what I put in there.

• shawn b
    6 years ago

They are saying expect delivery Saturday tracking # 9505 5151 8667 6111 0093 96

Thank you again this was fun

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Shawn, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm also glad you were able to get so many goodies out of the box!

Next stop? Treasa's house in Michigan!

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The box has now been delivered to Treasa, up in Munising Michigan! This is its last stop before returning home to Traverse City, and hopefully she'll be able to get it out with the mail Monday or Tuesday.

You've all done great and I hope you had fun! Look for this to happen again next year, hopefully a little sooner, and if there's enough interest I'll send out two boxes! Can you imagine following two boxes around the nation, not knowing which one is coming to you?

• uptreasa
    6 years ago

Yes, the box came today! I will have it back in the mail on Monday. Now to decide what to keep and what to add. Stay tuned!

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

LOL!! Have fun looking and choosing Treasa!

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Awww shucks! I was hoping Treasa would've posted a dc# by now...lol! I'm getting excited about seeing what all you people put in the box!

• uptreasa
    6 years ago

Dan, the box went with my rural mail carrier today, so I won't have a dc number until tomorrow. I took out 9 vegetables and two flowers. There sure were a lot of Burpee seeds. I put in an extra packet for Bump and Stella! I hope they like it! You, too!

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Awesome! I'm glad you found so many seeds to enjoy!

• uptreasa
    6 years ago

The dc number is 9505511621666116056631, and expected delivery is Thursday. Why does it take so long?

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think it's taking longer because your mail goes to Wisconsin to get sorted, but Thursday will be just fine. I'm not going to get out into the yard until the weekend, so I'll have a few days to look through the new seeds. I'm looking forward to playing with them all!

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I see the box is in Grand Rapids and never went to Wisconsin, so it just might get here tomorrow. That'll be just too kewl! I don't know about you guys, but I enjoy tracking boxes that'll eventually be in my mailbox!

• uptreasa
    6 years ago

That's strange how their system works, and why it has to go farther than it has to sometimes. Hope it lands in your mailbox tomorrow!!

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The box is here, and I've got a lot of planting to do...lol! Thank you all for participating in this round robin and keeping the box moving along in a timely manner! Here's a picture of Grumpy inspecting the box and the seeds...

• shawn b
    6 years ago

I have to ask is it a good variety for you Dan from what you started with?

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Shawn, it's a VERY good variety and am well pleased with what I received back. In fact, this weekend I'll be planting the peas, arugula, cat grass, 3 lettuces, kale, and basil...lol!

• beth_b_kodiak
    6 years ago

Dan, just curiosity but did you get any of the originals back?. The ones I planted are doing well in seedling trays

• Dan Coates
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I got some of the original vegetables back, but more flowers. I think what I'd like to do next year is send out 2 identical boxes, with 15 veggies and 15 flowers each.

Sponsored
NV Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars119 Reviews
Montgomery County's Most Experienced Kitchen & Bath Remodelers