SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
desertsteph

LCD vs LED TVs - help

desertsteph
8 years ago

it seems I need to sometime soon buy a new tv. So, I need to start now figuring out these new fangled creatures.

I see many say 'LCD' and some say 'LED'. I read in an online consumer report article that many are now using LED for backlighting. so, can an LCD tv have LED backlighting? will a decent tv have both?

I read this online - 'Tiny LEDs are already replacing the tubes that light up LCD HDTVs to make dramatically thinner televisions.' that tells me that the LED is the inside light and the LCD is something different (tho also having to do with allowing them to be skinny and weigh tons less than my 'ol dinosaur).

or do I have these things confused?

I also read that on a tv 40" or less 720p will not be noticeably different than one at 1080p. with my eyes I don't think I'd notice. I think my old (20 plus yo) tube tv has a fine pic.

I do plan to go for one that is 32" - larger than I'm used to but it won't take up more space than this 'ol tub here - and I figure my eyesight won't be getting better anytime soon (on this earth).

I can get one for around 199.00 at W or another local appl store. W has one for 158.00, a TCL that has roku, but it is Chinese made. other brands are like Vizio, Sanyo, Samsung, RCA. any of those seem fine to me. the RCA has a dvd with it.

anyone have a handle on this LCD vs LED stuff?

in another area of my life... I've been debating (myself) on buying a new pot for soup. to get one that is coated or not? then I read an article about dementia/Alzheimer's and they said not to buy coated pots/pans. oh dear. I think it might be too late to worry about that! tho, it might explain the explosion of dementia in the US...

but OTOH, I have read (here?) about that coating stuff flaking off into the food. I tossed the 2 pots I had that had little nicks in it (mice break dancing in them?).

buying one uncoated would make it easier (probably not easier to clean tho). not as many to choose from... (well, not at W where I usually shop. not sure about BBB where I do plan to check them out) .

Comments (13)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County