SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Another fashion Q: Dressier shoes with jeans

Annie Deighnaugh
8 years ago

I wear jeans for just about everything. When we go out to dinner with friends or to a show, I like to wear dress jeans, dress up the top, but find flats kind of boring. Are there heels that go well with jeans?

I see they wear even pumps with skinny jeans, but I'm definitely not the skinny jean type. My jeans come down over the ankle and will cover part of the shoe.

In the summer it's less of an issue as I have heeled sandals, in the winter, I do have heeled ankle boots that can work. But in between, are there heeled shoes that would fit the bill?

Comments (48)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    8 years ago

T-straps or sling backs? Maybe a wedge heel?

Annie Deighnaugh thanked diane_nj 6b/7a
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Here are some examples of what I wear with jeans, in spring. Like you, I mainly wear boots in the winter. I usually wear skinny jeans, but have worn all of these with slightly flared and longer jeans, too.

These are cow hide, and are great with longer jeans.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked User
  • Related Discussions

What kind of shoes with jeans?

Q

Comments (25)
    goldgirl, i'm not seww, but Sanita's *are* Danskos. Sort of. (My first pair of Danskos have "Sanita" stamped on them, by the way. The leopards I linked to above are last year's Sanitas.) "Since the early 1990s until August 2007, all Dansko Professional clogs and all Dansko Stapled Clogs had been manufactured by Sanita in Europe. The distribution agreement between Dansko and Sanita ended in August 2007. Shortly after that time, Sanita began distributing the same products directly in the US under their own name. "If you have a pair of Dansko stapled clogs purchased before 2008, look at the bottom of the sole and you will see patent 0060240 engraved into the sole. This indicates that your clogs were made by Sanita according to their patented construction. If you have a pair of really old Dansko clogs, you may even see Sanita stamped on the bottom as well as the patent number mentioned above. "If the patent number is missing, then you have a new Dansko product that was introduced in 2008. The new Dansko clogs are made by various manufacturers around the world based on a re-design of the original Sanita clog. According to Dansko's printed catalog information, they have introduced structural innovations to enhance the performance of these clogs; improved lateral stability, better shock absorption, more secure heel strike and improved aesthetics. Visually, the clogs look very similar, however the new Dansko is wider across the heel and has a curved up sole in the back of the heel. "On the other hand, Sanita has been delivering the same product (as was previously distributed by Dansko), made by the same materials, by the same artisans, in the same Sanita owned factory. "So in summary, if you want to purchase the same clog that was sold in the US under the Dansko brand (pre-2008), then you would need to switch to buying the Sanita brand. "If you would like to try the new re-designed version, then give Dansko a try." Here is a link that might be useful: Sanita-Dansko link
    ...See More

Another fashion post . . .

Q

Comments (16)
    I am long waisted and have been wearing a lot of tunic tops. Unfortunately, there is a fine line between tunic and maternity and it is often hard to find tops that aren't too voluminous. My kids have been wearing lace shorts for a few years. The trend may have hit our house earlier because my kids are older or because of my daughter's sorority influences. Many (not all) Southern sorority girls are always on hunt for the newest thing. Missy, I have noticed the retro bathing suits as well. Sadly, the trend has not hit the high school girls around here who could often use extra covering. I recently saw an online article about the backlash against thongs and the resurgence of granny panties as the choice for twenty somethings. lol. Can we just have a happy medium?
    ...See More

More fashion... spring shoes? ...oh, and a jacket?

Q

Comments (54)
    lol, i know exactly what you mean --- i ordered them in white and tan and the white def look orthopedic so I kept the tan. One thing even that cute pic above does not show is that the outside zipper is kind of shiny gold, which is cute. Today my DD2 "borrowed" them and wore them to school. I wasn't home when she left and when she came home she was in sports clothes, so I will have to ask her what she paired it with!
    ...See More

Another shoe question!

Q

Comments (29)
    grapefruit, I know Harrisburg is a little bit of a haul for you, but I highly recommend Plum Bottom in the Susquehanna Shoppes. It's a locally owned business and they offer a wide range of shoes-- many of the brands mentioned here. Their web site is awful but the store is great and the owner/staff really know their stuff. You can share your particular needs and they can point you to the brands or styles that fit narrow, wide, whatever. They aren't cheap but for the variety and assistance, I think they're great! you can check her out on youtube-- she has a terrible web site but does regular videos of new stock on FB.
    ...See More
  • busybee3
    8 years ago

i always think dressier heeled shoes, like pumps and others, look nice with jeans, but whenever i try it, i feel like such a dork and change to something flatter! i tend to wear flats and more casual heeled shoes with jeans! i would wear something like the last pic that mizgg shows. i also have some clark mules and short boots with a ~ 1 1/2-2" heel that i like, but i always feel very dressed up when i wear them! lol

a cute pair of cowboy boots look great with jeans too!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked busybee3
  • tinam61
    8 years ago

I would wear any of the shoes that MizGG shared, except #2, but I would never wear that shoe period! LOL I would break my leg. I do not particularly like pumps with jeans although I know some wear them. The problem may be with your style of jeans though. I wear skinny jeans (have you ever tried them on) and right now wear alot of the skinny leg cuffed, which look great with booties or something like the shoes in MizGG's last pic. I am short so I also wear a longer, boot cut and they look good with chunky heels which I do in both clogs and sandals. Here in my area, boots have gone bye-bye for the year. Of course, our college spring break was early this year and we have lots of tanned bodies and clothing showing off those tans. In between sandal and boot seasons you will see lots of cute flats, clogs and toeless shoes (yes Sueb - like those!! I love those in the snakeskin.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked tinam61
  • Bunny
    8 years ago

I like all kinds of shoes with jeans. I wear jeans to church and feel a little less a mess if I wear shoes with a heel.

• bossyvossy
    8 years ago

Wear same as MizGG for a look that is not flats, Sandals or sneakers. except one in pic #2, Simply too high for me.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked bossyvossy
  • eld6161
    8 years ago

If getting all types of shoes is not an issue for you (it is for me as I have a small wide foot) then there are so many flats out there that are far from boring. (I wish I could wear them.)

I love how the pointy toe ballet flat looks with jeans. Some have cut outs or interesting designs. There are lace ones, florals, stripes etc.

I would also think about a low heeled pump.

I would not do an open back shoe with the jeans you are describing.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked eld6161
  • grapefruit1_ar
    8 years ago

All of my pants are jeans. I have posted before my problem with finding dress pants that fit. I have blue, black, brown, and gray jeans. I primarily wear flats or low-heeled boots ( long legs=high-water pants) . I never wear sneakers unless I am on my daily walk. I just cannot tolerate this old lady in jeans and sneakers.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

tinam, thank you, but trust me when I say that skinny jeans on my body are something even I shouldn't behold let alone anyone else! Short legs, heavy thighs, big booty....nuh-uh.

• Abbie Doerring
    8 years ago

I watched this video the other day because I wasn't sure what types of heels would look great, professional, and stylish with my jeans. I work from home as a marketing agent, and like the casual feel of jeans, but know that I have to still look professional. Here are my tips, watch this short video, and go shoe shopping, or raid your closet for shoes you haven't worn in a long time. I love re-finding shoes I haven't worn recently! http://jeans.about.com/video/Tips-for-Wearing-Jeans-With-Heels.htm http://amzn.to/1ShKjih

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Abbie Doerring
  • Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

I would like to add a pair of jeans to my wardrobe. I don't own one pair. The last time I owned a pair of jeans was probably five years ago. I am big in the waist area with nicely shaped legs but high waisted jeans don't fit correctly and low slung jeans give me muffin top. I refuse to wear mom jeans. In the winter I wear slim ponte leggings or dress slacks from WHBM. In the summer I usually wear capris from Chicos. Because I'm hard to fit I would have to try on in person and I loathe clothes shopping at a mall.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Holly- Kay
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    8 years ago

Love heeled cage shoes with jeans.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Abbie. Interesting as I see more and more chunky heels...I do have a bunch of them stashed somewhere in my closet from many years ago...I guess they're back and they're certainly more stable than the spike heel.

I do have heeled loafers which I guess could work.

I also have seen some nice looking wedges that may do it as they are more casual than a pump. They might do double duty for me for our next vaca as they can be worn with both skirts and pants...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Bumblebeez, those are definitely popular choices, but my feet would get cold as they are more like sandals than shoes...

• User
    8 years ago

Holly-Kay, you may like Eileen Fisher jeans. They sit right below the waist. They aren't as baggy as they look in the pics. Actually they are not baggy at all. You can order them from Nordstrom with free shipping and free returns. I especially like the white jeans. (They are expensive but sometimes there is a price match at a lower price).

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

For this time of year I also like the looks of the perforated bootie. I can't wear a high heel and these are about perfect. The Lucky Brand is also comfy. I even have some that are like a more like a sandal (open toe). And I also like the cage shoes with jeans if the heels aren't high.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Thanks Marlene. I'll take a look on Nordstrom.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Those booties are cute, OP.

I have to be so careful with open toed shoes...if it's too open, my toes slide forward and rub on the edge...a peep toe I can manage, but not much larger.

• User
    8 years ago

Holly Kay, I could have written your post, except that I don't think I have owned a pair of jeans in twenty years. I don't really like the way they look or feel so I am not looking for any, but would probably buy them from Eileen Fisher if I was in the market for a pair. Almost all of my slacks are EF and they fit well.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

I always feel under dressed in jeans but know that maybe there would be a time when they would be appropriate. My ponte leggings are just so utterly comfortable and can be dressed up with heels. They aren't at all tight but have a slim cut that is very flattering. i did look at the jeans on Nordstrom but I think they look unflattering even on models who have pretty perfect bodies.

DD and I are going shopping the day after Easter. Maybe I will see something that turns my head but I guess I'm just not a jeans kind of gal.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm uncomfortable in ponte pants...I always feel like I'm wearing pjs not clothes...unless I'm in a yoga class...and they always seem to get knees.

• User
    8 years ago

Holly-Kay, the EF jeans look awful on the models in the pictures. I was at Nordstrom and my personal shopper insisted that I try a pair on. They fit like a glove and the fabric feels so good. I am very picky about a good fit and these jeans (the skinny jeans), for me, fill the bill.

I never wore jeans when I lived full time in Los Angeles. Now that I spend the majority of my time in Portland, I rarely am in anything else.

• rosesstink
    8 years ago

I like a chunky heel shortie with jeans. Skinny heeled shoes with jeans look a bit... umm ... Kardashian, maybe? to me.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked rosesstink
  • tinam61
    8 years ago

HA! I agree rosestink! HollyKay, I like pants like you are talking about - they feel great and they look good and you can dress them up or down. If you buy the right fabric, they don't get "knees". But for someone who thinks skinny jeans are unflattering to their body type, they probably wouldn't like the ponte pants either.

• Bluebell66
    8 years ago

I could have written Holly-Kay's post, too, except I've never worn capris from Chico's. I'll have to check them out. I do love my WHBM Ponte pants and was happy to find some on clearance not long ago. I'm glad to see these suggestions, because I'm in the same boat with trying to find cute, but comfortable shoes to wear this time of year. My search is made worse by a wonky ankle - I broke it two years ago and no longer have much range of motion, so I can't wear much of a heel. Love the perforated booties, OP.

• deegw
    8 years ago

I have never heard of ponte pants! From the pics they look like knit jeans. Snap or button waist, zipper and back pockets. Do I have that right?

I wear jeans because I feel like I look better with a little structure to smooth things out. I am thin but knits seem to grab at all the wrong places.

I don't wear pumps with jeans but do wear heeled clogs, boots or wedges. This time of year I often wear a cotton print tunic, jeans and driving mocs.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Marlene, I also love the EF jeans. Most of them anyway, especially the skinny jeans. They fit well in the small size I need, being both long enough in length and rise.

• Bluebell66
    8 years ago

d_gw, yep, my Ponte pants are like jeans: front and back pockets, and a zipper and snap in the front. They are pretty stretchy, so I size down once size for the right fit. The knit is fairly thick - they're not thin like stretch pants. If I recall correctly, there are 2 or 3 versions, with different fits, i.e. slim leg vs boot. I think they also come in different lengths. I'm 5'3" and found some that are perfect length without hemming. I typically wear them with a longer top or sweater, so my butt is mostly or all the way covered.

• User
    8 years ago

I live in jeans and my closet has gobs of black. I've been living in these black wedge booties over the past year. I like them with skinny jeans or slim boot cut (seem to be hard to find ones that the bottoms aren't too belled!)

They look nicer IRL. Very sleek, IMO. Heels over 2" bother my feet, can't walk well in them, and feel like the shoes wear me. I find wedges to be quite comfortable. The shoes above are 2.5". In warmer months I live in flats.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

My ponte pants are Lou & Grey from the Loft. Annie these ponte pants could never be confused with pajama pants. I think I have at least ten pair and they are the most comfortable pants I've ever worn. I have never found jeans to be at all comfortable. My ponte leggings are pull on but my WHBM are dress slacks with button and zipper. I used to love Talbots side zip pants because they gave such a smooth look in the tummy area. Our Talbots closed about six years ago and I was in mourning for months.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Holly- Kay
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yeah, I don't do leggings. Most unflattering on me as my legs are too short and heavy, and I'd need to cover the crotch with a top which only makes my legs look even shorter. I'm delighted they work for you, but not for me.

• User
    8 years ago

Annie, I'm surprised by the number of occasions that you wear jeans. My frame can wear jeans but dinner out with friends or a community event would call for something more than jeans. To me, jeans are casual and fun, but not "going out for the evening" wear. In winter I wear pants with substantial material that can accommodate cute boots and sweaters, and in summer, I'm in a nice skirt or linen trousers.

Are your jeans for evening dark or black? Maybe that's what I'm missing.

• Sueb20
    8 years ago

I am guessing Annie's look is more like this:

or this:

and not this:

To some extent it may depend on where you live, or obviously what kind of places you go, but in Boston at least, you can wear jeans almost anywhere, even the best restaurants.

Annie -- it sounds like we have similar builds. I branched out into the leggings/tunic look a little while ago, and at first I only wore them when I was home or just running errands (hidden under a long winter coat). The two tunics I have are more like dresses -- they end closer to my knee than to my hip -- and they're sort of A-line. So it looks more like a short dress and tights. My leggings are black, and I wear them with black boots. Anyway, I went out of town with girlfriends a few weeks ago and wore my leggings outfit, and they all said it was very flattering and I should wear that combo more often! So you never know...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

lisad, the jeans I wear out are very dark navy or very black. They have plain pockets or bound welted pockets or none at all...straight leg...like a trouser jean. I wear them with a jacket or a cardigan and even at that, I'm often "dressier" than many other people I see coming into the restaurants I go to.

sueb, would that I could wear those tight fitting legs. Skinny jeans on me give me the shape of an ice cream cone...not flattering! My jeans have much more ease in them! I'm really afraid of those tunic tops for me esp with leggings as I have an ample bottom and so often those tops can cling and/or ride up in a most unflattering way. Even with dresses, I have to be so careful of length...there are only 3 spots on my leg that I can wear a dress or shorts to and have it look decent...top of the knee, bottom of the knee and about 7" above the ankle...anything else and it's dumpy looking. I never wear capris.

I did that Christopher Hopkins book where he has you measure your height and proportions. I'm pretty proportionate, except for my legs. I am definitely "undertall" by a lot so need to do what I can to get a longer leg line, always.

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

Coach has some shoes I can walk in. It's so frustrating looking for shoes when everything seems to have such a high heel. These all come in different colors.

Edited to add: I used to hate the clunky-er heel but a good wedge isn't always easy to find. I am glad that style is fashionable again though because they are easier to walk in than a wedge.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

it must be regional, because in the NE jeans are worn everywhere... even at broadway shows and many nice nyc restaurants you will see jeans- not as casual as the last pic sueb shows maybe, but definitely sometimes more casual than the 1st pics... anything goes almost!

• User
    8 years ago

Annie, not to beat a dead horse, but I have the same concerns about long tunics and sweaters clinging to my bottom. It takes a special fabric and drape which aren't easy to find. I found that I needed a long drapey tank top (to cover my crotch area) under a lightweight long cardigan that is left open, duster style.

One of my favorite outfits though this past winter was a shirt dress over leggings with boots. The shirt dress has a drawstring at the waist and this and the material kept it from hugging my bottom (surprisingly). I'm looking for a summer version of this because the leggings are so comfortable.

• User
    8 years ago

I wouldn't consider either of those first two jeans outfits Sueb20 posted to be something to wear to a nice restaurant. Well--- maybe the first one, but not the second. That second picture with the cardigan looks like a shopping outfit, or a moms lunch or carpool outfit, maybe?

Holly Kay, EF has great side zip slacks, they are my absolute favorite. They are well worth the price.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I appreciate how nice all the heeled sandals look and I do have some already...it's that in between winter and summer that I'm looking for. Open toes won't work given the weather, so sandals with barefeet are definitely out.

I have one pair of side zip stretch printed slacks with no waistband and they are nothing short of a total pain to work the zipper and the top of the zipper digs into my waist unless I'm careful with protecting my skin from it with a top or cami or something.

sueb, I'm truly glad those outfits work for you, but they will never work for me. Esp with the boots, it will cut my legs off even more...I need one long uninterrupted legline to look my best. And even then I have short legs.

• User
    8 years ago

Annie, check out Cole Haan Julianne pump at Zappos. They come with a 1-1/2" heel. They are very simple and attractive and come in many colors.

• tinam61
    8 years ago

You see jeans just about anywhere here too, but not everyone wears them all the time. I wear regular pants alot, I will also wear some outfits similar to Lisa82. Wearing the same color leggings/pants and boots or shoes will give you a longer leg look. I wear pants almost always to church but would not wear jeans to morning service. Unless that was all I had, and my church would not frown on it, but I feel some places (church, funeral home, etc.) you dress a bit more "respectful " (for lack of a better word - YKWIM). I do like the ponte pants as mentioned - pull-on - similar to a legging but not as fitted. For warmer weather I love cropped pants, skinny cropped pants. I look best in a style that fits to my leg. A boot cut, longer length jean is flattering to me also. I am petite in height, but not so short-legged.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

While those peep toe boots look nice, you can't wear them with socks or stockings, right? I'd find that uncomfortable to have my bare toes out in the spring and fall....

• eld6161
    8 years ago

THose would look cute on you though! Do you think two toes out would make you cold?

I wish I could wear any of those......

• hhireno
    8 years ago

I, too, find spring shoes a trial. I think something along the lines of Mizgg's 3rd & 4th pictures (not necessarily as high if you don't like the height) are what you should be considering.

Some of those peep toe booties are cute, never thought I'd say such a thing, and I think they wouldn't actually be too cold during most of the awkward temperature weather since so much of the foot is covered. But you wouldn't know until you tried them so it could be an expensive mistake.

I can't wear any shoe that exposes the top of my foot (ballet flats, any low vamp loafer) until it's truly sandal weather (and then I wear sandals) but I'd be willing to gamble on a peep toe since the top of my foot is covered. When I transition from ankle boot until sandals, I wear something along the lines of Mizzgg's open back clogs.

I dislike a pump with jeans but that's me, if it works for you, then work it, girl.

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

How about some cozy but well made Hispanitas's?

Annie Deighnaugh thanked just_terrilynn
  • just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

Or, Chie Mihara. I don't know if you like a higher heel or not. I have a habit of picking things I could walk in.

Love the pewtery look ones.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked just_terrilynn
  • Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Thanks KSWL for the tip on the EF side zip slacks. After Easter I will be doing one fashion shopping!