SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merlcat

New house, new garden 2, unknown plants, suspected weed id

8 years ago

Another couple unknowns in the New House Garden! Philadelphia pa zone 7a.

There are several small gardens here, cultivated until this past spring/summer. I imagine the task had become too great for the owner by then, and some things got a little out of control. Some roses were pruned for rejuvenation and the currents and grapes harvested and cut back by family members, and the lovely veggie/herb garden tended.

But as we all know, things have a way of getting out of control before you know it. Clearly, He loved this garden, so I am trying to see what the ground gives me as the year passes and watching closely. Exciting stuff and so interesting to watch someone else's garden come to life so closely!! :-)

This new yard is oddly free of the common nuisance weeds I had at my old garden at the apartment, which was a many year effort to get under control. Its only a few blocks from here, but so far I see almost no signs of the unwanted things I dealt with there. Some prostrate clover, a couple dandelions, but very little else far. Not even a wild violet, which I kind of wish were here! (I know, but I like them!) SO happy that I see no goutweed, and especially no signs of Pinellia ternata here…yet. I battled that with a vengeance, and was FINALLY coming through as the victor after years of careful digging. I pray there is none here, and so far so good, though it still is a bit early to tell. That hell, my friends, I would wish on no one!

Still, that is making it a challenge to id some things I suspect I don’t want. The out of control mint patch was a no brainer, but other things are still a question. Here it is sunnier far more hours of the day, so I suppose there are different considerations, weed wise. ;-) I know more shade loving weeds, I suppose, as well as shade/less than full sun-loving plants as they emerge, apparently.

I believe this is a weed. I think I recognize it from my old apartment garden as such. However, I’m being extra careful and observant to make sure that I am not pulling up anything I may want to be keeping, and that seems to include some keepers that are growing in unlikely places, or outside known borders.

This is growing in too many places and I think it is a weed I don’t want. I’m getting tricked by early growth here after a bunch of early mild weather and am surprised to see a bud on such a short plant. Still, I think this is all the same plant, and not one that necessarily belongs among the known daisies and other things I see coming up. I used to have an Id for this, if it is indeed the weed i think it is, but would like your suggestions as I can’t remember what I had id it as in the past.

Taken on two different days in different light, but same type of plant, I am sure. Small bud showing on one already, maybe a white flower, making me think it is a weed I AM familiar with, but confused that the bloom is already showing so low to the ground. Weird early warm weather though this month could explain it.The last two photos are what i think are the same plant but with an odd looking leaf, a mutant? Maybe not though. One photo has a brick in the background for some scale of the larger of the plants.

What say you, gardenwebbers?? What is this plant?? Thank you for your time!!!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?