SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bgaviator

Making a large boulder question

bgaviator
8 years ago

Hello, I just learned about Hypertufa tonight and it's gotten me really excited. I was out pricing large boulders and other smaller landscape boulders today and was floored by how much they were charging, not to mention I have no way of moving a 1,000 lb boulder to my back yard area where I want one.

I have read a couple of threads on this, and the basic mix seems to be easy enough. I kinda get the idea of the chicken wire frames. What I am not sure about is how I could do this to make a large boulder, say 45 inches long, 45 inches wide....not sure on height yet. What do I use for the interior? I've seen people use empty plastic water bottles for small rocks, but what would be ideal to fill the interior volume for a large boulder?

Also, If I go to make a boulder, are they strong enough to actually sit and stand on? Or are they purely for decoration?

If in fact they are strong enough to sit/stand on, can you also use this mix to make say natural looking, flat stone steps that would lead off of a deck? I currently have crappy wooden steps going off my deck....only a couple steps high.....but I've always wanted to have flat, stone steps to replace them with. Can this be done also with Hypertufa? Thanks for helping me out!

Comments (11)