SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maddybeagle

How big a deal is it to replace radiators with other radiators?

maddybeagle
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have hot-water radiator heat, which I wouldn't part with for the world, with a relatively new and efficient gas boiler in my 1922 bungalow. Several of the radiators themselves are ungainly in size and shape, especially the ones in the living room that stick up higher than the windowsills they sit in front of and are oversized for the room, given pretty good storm windows and weatherstripping. I'd like lower-profile ones that could accommodate a cover that's level with the windowsill, allow space for a window air conditioner above, allow drapes to hang normally, and other such things that the current ones don't allow.

I'm wondering what would be involved in replacing them with ones that are a more convenient shape with slightly lower overall heat output – still old-fashioned-style radiators, just a change of shape and size for convenience and comfort. I know it's possible to replace radiators, and I'm assuming it involves draining the system and then the attentions of someone comfortable with old-house plumbing. But I don't know whether this is a thousands-of-dollars, huge hassle type deal, or a hundreds-of-dollars, go ahead and do it if it'll solve other problems type of deal. Insights?

Thanks!

Comments (23)