SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gracemandigo

Need help with kitchen countertop and backsplash!

ghkim
8 years ago

I'm doing a gut renovation and need to choose the kitchen countertop and backsplash. Cabinets will be white shaker style probably with silver/polished chrome fixtures and hardware and floors will likely be porcelain tile. If maintenance and cost were no issue I'd love a calacatta slab countertop and backsplash. On the more affordable end I'm also happy with carrera slab. But I'm reading a lot of warnings against marble in the kitchen. Anyone have any long term experience with marble slab countertops/slab? Any regrets? can anyone give me an idea of what the final cost would be (materials, fabrication, and installation)? I gather carrera slab will be around 20$/sf but no idea what the final cost is. I am in nyc.

I also like the look of some white quartzite but have read that they can etch and are more expensive that marble.

i don't like the look of granite but would consider absolute black honed but have heard that it stains (whatever that means on a black surface).

I'm not entirely opposed to Quartz but it's not quite the look we are going for and I've also read complaints that it can stain and chip

Anyone have any advice? TIA!

Comments (16)