SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennyloupru

Forcing tubers, and cutting sprouts from them?

J Pru
8 years ago

I have been growing Dahlias for years, overwintering them each year by just throwing the clumps into plastic bags. Darwinian selection being what it is, I have 4 varieties that seem to survive this treatment. After several years of this, I bought a few new varieties last year from Swan Island, and I decided to split up my old clumps and cut apart the new varieties, so I divided the clumps into individual fingers last fall. Now in March, they look pretty good, so I started them early indoors in trays filled with a mix of peat, vermiculite and sand. I planted them out in the trays and put the trays on the floor in my great room in front of the west-facing windows. Three questions:
1. When forcing Dahlias, is it too much sun to place the tray in direct sunlight? I live in Michigan so at this time of year we get around 12 hours of daylight a day, about 6 of it direct in that room. Should I put some kind of screen over the window (plastic film or something) so the sun isn't so harsh on the new shoots?
2. I'd like to take some cuttings, especially of the new varieties. Most of the videos with people taking cuttings show them starting with a big clump of tubers, which yields several stalks to cut. But I already divided mine. If I have 1 tuber with one visible eye, will cutting off the stalk to make a cutting be the end of that tuber? Or will another stalk grow if I cut the first? And will the cuttings survive the direct sunlight or do I need to be careful of them?
3. If I order new tubers this year, can I take cuttings from them, or should I wait until they've had a chance to grow a season?

Comments (6)