SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Mushroom stuffed with shrimp or shrimp mousse?

John Liu
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm making finger food snacks for a friend's 50th birthday party tomorrow evening. Her invitation asks for help celebrating her reaching "the halfway point". After enough drinks, I'm going to tell her this is optimistic and that she probably should have had the party a few years ago.

To make up for this planned awful rudeness, I need to bring yummy food.

We talked about menu ideas last week and she asked for meatballs, wings, and spanakopita. She's providing the food for the "vegans and glutards", as she put it. I am only feeding the meat eaters and the non-vegan vegetarians.

The meatball mix is in the fridge. Beef, pork, lamb, couscous, spinach, egg, garlic, various herbs and red pepper. I'll form and bake them tomorrow afternoon.

Wings will be steamed, then roasted and tossed in salt and melted butter. I might bring them to her house mostly done, then finish the roasting and tossing there. That way they will be crisp. I guess I need to verify her oven works.

I'm going to assemble and bake the spanakopita at her place. Seems to me that is a dish that doesn't want to sit around getting soggy, either before or after baking, right? I haven't made it in many years.

Here is my question, finally: what do you think about mushroom caps stuffed with shrimp?. I bought some shrimp, and was gong to cook the shells to make a concentrated broth, dice the mushroom stems and shrimp meat, cook that in the broth, then load that into the mushroom caps and roast for a bit. Do you think this will work?

I could also roast the mushroom caps, then make the cooked mixture into a mousse, and load said mousse into the caps. This would be a smoother texture, maybe more attractive and tidier as finger food.

She didn't ask for the shrimp dish, but I figure there may be pescatarians to feed. Sigh. Life in Portland.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022