SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
nutty4style

HELP! How do I re-do this family room totally?

nutty4style
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

my house · More Info

We will be remodeling our kitchen, which is right next to the family, so decided we would totally re-do the family room also. Right now, my house is decorated very folk art/country. I am trying to gradually change that to a more modern/rustic look, with less clutter of knick knacks and such. The room is approximately 10.5 x 21 ft. I have attached a design, which is the exact proportions. We have some ideas, which I have put on this design. We would like a leather couch and love seat (not a sectional), and we also want 2 chairs. I would rather the chairs not be fabric, as the cats love to claw at fabric, but never ruin leather. I would also like the chairs to swivel, so they can face guests toward the couch, or watch the TV. The floor will be either wood look tile planks or luxury vinyl planks. It will be a rustic lighter brownish/gray color. This floor will also go through the kitchen. The kitchen cabinets will be a bordeaux cherry color, shaker style.

We saw leather couches that are a dark cherry chocolate, that we really like. I also like the idea of a rustic window mirror over the couch. The TV will be hung over the fireplace. The fireplace will be refaced with stone.

Beside that, I need suggestions for everything!!

Color of 2 chairs? Style?? Material??

Color of rug?

Color of throw pillows?

Color of narrow table under window (I want this to look nice, as you will see this from our dining room and kitchen). I saw a nice rustic red one.

Idea for small coffee table?

Idea for small table between 2 couches?

Ideas for table lamps, floor lamps.

Ideas for pictures, wall decorations?

Idea for wall color?

I really am starting with a clean slate.

I put colored X's on each item, to explain what each thing is.

Lime green: fireplace

Red: antigue china closet (not very large)

Royal blue: chairs

Purple: narrow table under window

Orange: area rug

Yellow: coffee table

Pink: loveseat

Aqua: couch

Dark green: small coffee table between couches

Powder blue lines are windows.

The gold line is the opening into kitchen.

I absolutely love reading everyone's great ideas here, so I hope you could give me some. Thanks!!

Comments (13)