SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

3/19/16 - Favorite roses & quotes & things that you wonder about?

strawchicago z5
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Jess wondered why Blue Bayou rose has blackspots, while her other roses are clean. I looked at that Kordes rose on HMF, it looks like a precursor to Poseidon, except it's stingier in blooms, with slender stems. My answer would be to UP the sulfate of potash, and see what happens next. I notice that the pics. of Blue Bayou have thin stems.. looks like it's not good at picking up potassium.

When I used sulfate of potash in my garden, the 1st thing I notice is darker-green foliage, shinier foliage & thicker stems & more blooms. My Deep Purple rose had blue color, also by Kordes. That rose gave me hell: slender stems & stingy & wimpy. I gave it gypsum and it didn't help. So I dug it up, and the root DID NOT SECRET enough acid to utilize the minerals in the soil ... the soil is still compact.

I solved the problem by putting Deep Purple in fluffy-soil, and gave it SOLUBLE fertilizer. Some roots are so wimpy that they can't "digest" the hard-minerals in soil, and have to be "spoon-fed" baby-food, aka SOLUBLE fertilizer.

Lots of own-root roses are like that. My Angel Face as own-root was MUCH WIMPIER than Angel Face as grafted. Below is Deep Purple rose, so wimpy that it looked like a mini-rose.

What have you wondered about, or curious about lately in your garden?

Comments (22)