SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcowen0

Awkward Kitchen Layout?

Michael
8 years ago

GardenWeb please help!

We're getting started on a home remodel. Just purchased a house from 1905. The first floor was gutted in the 70's and needs some updating. I think it could be an incredible before and after when it's done!

We plan to take down one wall to connect a kitchen and bedroom. The bedroom area would become an extension of the kitchen and a new breakfast room. The old bedroom closet would become a pantry/storage closet.

I've put before pictures and layout and a proposed new layout below.

All criticism and advice welcome!

Here's what I'm concerned about in the proposed layout:

1. Will the connection between the main kitchen and breakfast room seem open or just awkward? Is having the refrigerator in the breakfast room strange? Where else could the fridge go?
  2. Should the main sink be pushed back into the bay window and eliminate the counters next to the sink? This would make the opening between the main kitchen and breakfast room 5 feet.
  3. Should the storage room/pantry open into the breakfast room or the hallway on the other side?
  4. Does the island seem awkwardly placed? Should it be more rectangular or stay square? If rectangular, which direction should it face? I would like to have at least 4 stools around two sides of the island. Also, there is a column that can't be moved behind the island and in front of the powder room door (small rectangle on the plan).
  5. Will there be enough room to seat 12 people in the dining room? How would you arrange the dining room table?

Thank you all in advance for any help!

I'm attaching the current first floor layout and some before pictures.

Here's the proposed new layout.

And close up of the kitchen, dining, breakfast room area.

Appliances will be:
NXR 36" Range 36" W x 29" D with 36" hood

GE Dishwasher

GE PFE28RSHSS Refrigerator 36" W x 36" D x 71" H

Whirlpool 30" Wall Oven

Whirlpool Microwave with trim kit

Comments (19)