SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brandyleigh

Architects...can I ask you a question?

brandyleigh
8 years ago

I have dreamed of designing my own home since I was a little girl....I seriously was drawing up floor plans when I was in the 5th grade. So here I am at the point of designing. My intention was to find an exterior that I liked and use that footprint to design the floor plan. I have schooled myself in house design mainly from reading Sarah Susanka books, among a few others. But I'm no architect! I have an engineering background, and I don't quite trust my design when it comes to the exterior. However, I really do want to take a hands on role when it comes to designing my family's home.

I have a good idea of how I want the exterior to be and when I found Mitch Ginn's Elberton Way, it met my criteria. Hearing from a couple of you, I have questioned my approach. I do intend to work with an architect to iron out any areas I'm not comfortable with in my design. I just thought it would be simpler to use the exterior on the Elberton Way because honestly I can't see an architect designing something I like better with the floor plan I would ideally have if I could lay it out exactly how I wanted it.

So am I missing something? I hate to hire someone this early on to just be disappointed with their design.

Advice?

Comments (69)