SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slagathor

Organic kitty litter fertilizer?

slagathor
8 years ago

Hello folks, there's a question I've had for quite some time regarding natural fertilizer/compost. I have 3 cats that use a litter box, the 4th may or may not as she usually goes outside, and instead of regular cat litter I just buy a huge condensed 5 lb brick of pine shavings that's used for horse bedding.

My question is: Is it safe to use the waste, pine shavings and all, in compost and direct fertilizer/mulching? I've had success in the past with direct composting by throwing kitchen scraps directly onto a plant with some dirt on top or just dug into the surface without adding dirt and there have been no negative effects on the plants or quality. Is there anything dangerous about what I'm doing? I've already been doing this for a few months and now I have some potatoes growing but they aren't nearly ready for harvest. These potatoes will be the first to be grown from the litter bed.

I live in Central Florida so I would assume that with the full sun exposure I get (no shade at all on the bed) then the ammonia from the cat urine wouldn't be a problem.

Comments (10)