SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lydia_nz

Question: Dwarf vs. Semi-dwarf mature sizes

lydia_nz
8 years ago

First I want to thank everyone on this forum; I have read a lot and learned a lot. For question below, I have searched a lot both on this forum and Google, to no avail; I hope experienced growers could help.

I am about to purchase my citrus trees, and want make sure I get the right rootstock. I have 2 choices: "Trifoliata" (semi-dwarf?) vs. "Flying Dragon" (dwarf).

http://www.waimeanurseries.co.nz/our-products/fruit-trees/citrus/

My yard is not big, so I want to make sure all trees are no bigger than about 8ft tall and wide at maturity. I am getting:

• Powell navel orange
  • Cara Cara orange
  • Moro blood orange
  • Meyer lemon
  • Kaffir lime
  • Meiwa kumquat

I have searched the mature sizes of these trees on dwarf vs. semi-dwarf to no avail; I get many different numbers.

I then read that a dwarfing rootstock reduces the size of the final tree to a fraction of the original. E.g., Flying Dragon reduces size by 50%. So if the original sizes of 2 trees are different, their reduced sizes are different too. So a grapefruit on flying dragon is still bigger than a kumquat on flying dragon. (But nursery tags seem to give one size number for all.)

Am I correct?

If yes, I am guessing I should get my 3 oranges on "Flying Dragon", but the Meyer lemon, Kaffir lime, and kumquat are fine in "Trifoliata"?

FYI: I plan to plant all citrus trees in the ground, in full sun. I am in Auckland, New Zealand, equivalent to USDA zone 10.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES