SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steve_mass

Sandwich Snowdrop Tea

Each year the Thornton Burgess Society runs a fundraiser for their Shirley Cross Wildflower garden in Sandwich, MA. This involves the opening of the private garden of Jonathan and Eugenie Shaw for a garden tour and an afternoon tea. Jonathan is a gardener who has been collecting and growing Snowdrops for 45 years. His garden is an outstanding example of an early Spring garden with lots of hellebores, crocuses, and of course snowdrops.

Here's the link in case anyone is interested. http://capecodmuseumtrail.com/event/snowdrop-tea/

I went on Thursday and although it was cloudy the rain held off and I was able to get some photos. I hope you like them.

This enormous clump started from two bulbs many years ago, these have been dug and divided many many times.. It is a hybrid called S. Arnott, sometimes you will see it listed for sale as Sam Arnott. It's highly fragrant.

This is an Elwesii seedling that Jonathan found and named for the namesake of the Burgess Wildflower Garden. So it's called Galanthus 'Shirley Cross'. I was fortunate enough to win a bulb of this one in the silent auction.

This is the root flare of one of the largest Metasequoia's I've ever seen. As big as the one at the Arnold. A nice companion plant for this large planting of snowdrops.

This is a cultivar called Flights of Fancy.

Iris reticulata 'Harmony' a very blue cultivar.

Hellebore 'Quilty'

A planting of Eranthis hyemalis (Winter Aconite) and early crocus.

A very civilized way to spend an early Spring afternoon.

Steve

Comments (6)