SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

Need help w/ black iris "real" colors. Anyone grow blacks?

8 years ago

I'm looking for black irises.

See, one of my cats is passing away. A big ole black cat. He's actually my coco noir cat, because he looks like delishious deep coffee or chocolate when he lays in the sun. A few years ago, we lost his companion, a very dainty white female. Over her grave is white irises, some touched with blue for her eyes.

So, now he is getting into what is likely his last summer, and now I'm on the hunt for black irises to plant over his grave when I bury him next to her.

I'm looking around in catalogs, I have started out with Schreiner's. But I don't know how accurate their photos are, and their color descriptions.. well they suck. Some say black, or purplish black, or black purple. That does not really tell me anything compared to some of the nice descriptions found elsewhere in the catalog. And with their prices being what they are, up to 40 bucks for one? Ack. I might be able to afford 1-3 of the cheaper ones or if these guys ever have a sale on them, but I can't really afford full price and need to plan ahead on this.

I want to know what colors these blacks really are. Anyone grow any black irises that can tell me if what I see in the catalog is accurate, or have more information about this color group?
Are there other iris sellers that have good blacks that aren't as expensive as Schreiner's?

Any suggestions and advice is appreciated :)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County